GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sigga Jagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:05:28 -0400
I am planning to put together a fund raising campaign here in Kentucky.  Am
going to talk to the Gambian students here tonight so that they can help
out.  I plan to put together a brief summary of events and the address for
donations( in Ya Soffie's name as posted on Gambia-l) in a pamphlet and
give it out to the general public and also E-mail it to everyone in my work
place, and to the faculty, staff, and students of Kentucky State
University.  These donations can then be directly sent to Ya Soffie, or to
one of us (Gambians students at Kentucky State University).  We will then
send whatever monies we collect, to Ya Soffie.  Let me know if you have any
ideas as to the content of the pamphlet.  Also, I wanted to suggest that we
use some of these funds to give render medical assistance to the wounded. I
know some of them are critically injured and might require medical
attention beyond what is available in the Gambia.  We may be able to set it
up for them to acquire visas considering the circumstances.  We can also
arrange for hospitals that they can be attended at, as well as maintenance
and care while they are here.  I say this because I know for a fact that a
three year old was shot in the head and is lying right now in the hospital
on the brink of death.  Who knows what type of trauma his brain and central
nervous system has received.  Can these be safely attended to in the
Gambia?  And speaking personally, my 16 year old brother was shot in the
stomach and arm.  He has multiple lacerations of the liver and kidney.  His
intestines were perforated, and due to excessive internal bleeding, his
lungs were filled with blood leading to pulmonary edema.

Well, let me know about any suggestions you have as far as the fund raising
and steps towards attaining medical help , here in the US, for those who
are critically ill