GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:17:32 +0000
Malanding,
I am positive the erros were committed when the colonialists were getting
down the names of the villages and towns. Most of the names of the
settlements are also the names of either their founders or historical
personalities who had connections with them. However, some of them are short
statements. The founder of Sukuta/Sabije/Dembadou was a man called Amoro
Cham. He was indeed Fula but the people who eventually left Bakoteh to join
the new settlement( as a result of some epedemic), were Mandinka .All the
three names are short Mandinka statements. They go as follows:
1. Sukuta= New Home;
2.Sabije( sageyo bejay)= A sheep is there;
3.Dembadou(chamdembadou)= Place of the chams.

Atleast with Sukuta the names are not badly distorted. We have our bad
example when Lameng is written as Lamin. We have another bad example where
Bakoteh is written as Bakoti. We do not know what Bakoti means, but we are
certain that Bakoteh( Baa ko tay), is the Mandinka for --" clear the other
side of the river/ cross to the other side of the river". Geographically the
creek is there to give meaning to the name. Furthermore, the history which
surrounds the founding of the settlement also adds meaning to the name. I am
baffled by the name Lameng. The "LA" at the beginning is very interesting!
Does it give the name a french or Arab root? Well for the moment I dont
know. But I am very positive that the mainstream culture of the settlement
has a vibrant Soninke root, which reveals itself during ceremonies and
rites. Perhaps someone out there should help us with what "Lameng" stands
for.
Omar Joof.