GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:32:47 +0200
Jane Warner, Ginny,

Perhaps I had not been clear enough in my response. Your questions
relate directly to what I thought I already mentioned, namely: if the
President wants to cozy up to the West (as he has been doing for some
years now) he cannot at once encourage militant Islam. He has to hold on
to the secular values of the state apparent. He has occasionally shown
to Imams the limits of their own power.
True these are complicated matters, but many will remember that we had
been there before on Gambia-L. It would perhaps be helpful if you can
all check articles in the Gambia-l archives during august 2003. There
are a great number of very illustrious articles written by sister Jabou
Joh, Ebrima Sallah and many others. This was at a time when the
president had a showdown with the State House Imam. Below is a link to
an article I posted at the time. It might just help to shed a little
light on some of the questions raised.

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0308&L=gambia-l&H=1&O=D&F=
P&S=&P=16936

Cheers,