GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:39:14 -0400
Sanyang, correct me if I am wrong, but I hope you are NOT trying to tell us
that APRC 'scored some points' over the Opposition when the shameless Saihou
Sisay 'defected' to the APRC from PPP (that does not exist anymore). I also
hope that you did NOT buy into the GRTS/Observer propaganda that '600 UDP
followers' defected to the APRC.

Instead of focusing on Opposition shortcomings and why you think the
Opposition will NOT win, don't you think (as an elections proponent
sympathetic to the Opposition) you should be talking about how APRC is
currently rigging the elections as we speak/write? Don't you think we in the
Opposition should be more preoccupied about the APRC shortcomings rather
that parading Opposition 'dirty laundry' for the APRC to see and take
advantage of?

I just read on the Gambian newspapers that youths at that national
conference were prohibited from wearing caps that bore the color yellow
because yellow is the UDP color. Now APRC stalwarts do not allow Gambians to
wear yellow because that is the UDP colors. We have seen numerous reports
telling us about the chaos in the Voter Registration Process. Matter of fact
I saw another report today saying that some UDP stalwarts have been taken to
court and accused of criminal trespass because they tried to prevent some
(purported) Casamance citizen from getting registered as a Gambian voter. We
have also heard of how APRC thugs have literally closed down Registration
centers because things are not going their way. We have also heard about how
KMC is being used as a center to supply illegal immigrants with Gambian
identity documents.

Now, does it make sense for elections proponents to ignore these APRC crimes
and instead zoom on Opposition shortcomings thus 'rationalizing' a rigged
APRC victory come October? Sanyang, I agree with you that not everyone is
better than Yaya. Certainly I will not settle for Edward Singhateh instead
of Yaya. I will not also settle for Yankuba Touray instead of Yaya. But the
point is, Yaya is not running against Singhateh and Touray. Would you go on
record and tell us that Yaya is better than any of the three Opposition
leaders we have?

I can categorically say that I will support Hamat Bah or Sidia Jatta or
Ousainou Darboe any day over Yaya. See, I do NOT ignore what is in front of
me ('jaharang') and instead fantasize about future atrocities without basing
my fears on concrete facts. For instance, I will fantasize that Edward
Singhateh is capable of committing some atrocities in the future because I
know for a fact that he has done so in the past. What I will NOT fantasize
about is that Hamat Bah or Sidia Jatta or Ousainou Darboe is capable of
being a killer. I hope you follow up and send your contribution to Joe
Sambou. The Opposition needs all the help it can get to combat the big APRC
war chest. Apart from 'printing' money from the Central Bank, the APRC also
has GRTS to report 'defections' and other APRC propaganda. The Opposition
also needs money and ideas to spread its message.
KB