GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:45:57 -0000
Saikou,

Like you and many others I was made to believe that Imam Baba leigh is an
outspoken and reasonable religious leader.May I,however,add that I still
consider Imam Leigh not only a reasonable Imam but also an open-minded
religious scholar.WHY?My reasons to still believe that Imam Baba Leigh is an
open-minded and reasonable religious scholar is  based on what I gathered
from what the Observer article you posted below.

The Imam makes it very clearly the Shariah will not be imposed on anyone.I
think  this is in line with the Islamic saying that there is no compassion
in Islam.Hence to hastily judge Imam as another fascist one will not be
doing justice to him.The fact that the introduction of the Shariah rule in
some countries like Nigeria and Iran have led to social problems even for
the people it was meant to guide should not make one to quickly conclude
that the Shariah is IRRELEVANT in our modern day society of mixed faiths.The
Shariah worked well during our BELOVED PROPHET's time whose society composed
of people of various believes.

To conclude,I guess the main problems in Nigeria,which you cited to justify
your argument,was that the State introducing the Shariah may perhaps fail to
first enlightened its people about the Shariah rule.Secondly,it should not
have taken those extreme measures on its subjects.

May ALLAH gives us the mind and hearth to reason issues with other
people.May HE also makes us to be HIS true servants.AMEN!

Wasalam.

MARK