GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 18:33:26 -0400
Mr. Camara,
Thanks for this very useful piece.  Economic growth or democracy?  I want
both, because without both, I will not have a well-functioning state with a
reasonable level of wealth-generating capacity for my people to subsist on.
Allow me to quote Dr. Salim Ahmed Salim from "Can Africa Claim the 21st
Century"
" Poverty brings about instability and insecurity, which breed
underdevelopment.  The reverse is also true.  Democracy must deliver on the
bread and butter issues, otherwise the Continent could slide back into
situations where the politics of poverty gives rise to the poverty of
politics." Salim Salim, SG, OAU, 24 October 1999.