GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:31:52 EDT
This lady is something else. Woman you are no match to those cowards with
their tales between their legs. You are doing a great job publicizing the
barbarism of this government. Your lawyer (Emmanuel Joof) is also doing a
great job. He has to move very fast and force them to file the case in
Banjul before the courts go on vacation. If not Dumo will languish in jail
while these foreigners go enjoy themselves in London or Ghana. Same advise
goes to the lawyers representing Yabo, Jaiteh and others. It is amazing the
Haddy Roche in Kanifing can charge these people and order for their
continued detention without digesting the evidence. Furthermore, she gave an
order clearly contradictory to the order of a higher authority (High Court
Judge Mam Yassin Sey). It is absurd that the order of the magistrate is what
is prevailing over the order of the High Court judge. This will only happen
in lawless Gambia. Joof don't worry. Wor-Wor's appeal is bogus. His whole
argument hinges on Section 17(2) of the Constitution which states that:
'every person in The Gambia …shall be entitled to the fundamental human
rights and freedoms of the individual contained in this Chapter, [but
subject] to respect for the rights and freedoms of others and for the public
interest.'
Joof, as you can see, he is trying to sell the 'public interest' argument.
Ask him what public interest would be served or has been served by detaining
someone for over 500 hours as opposed to the 72 hours maximum. They have to
tip their hand and show you some evidence. The man cannot just hide behind
Foday Barry's affidavit. Let them show you the tapes (if they have them).
When they show you the tapes, listen for entrapment issues. Joof, I know you
are a brilliant chap and has probably thought of some of these things
already; but we also recognize that you guys are operating under treacherous
conditions. So we are just trying to put heads together here. Go show
Wor-wor that you got a Masters degree in human rights law. The lady is
right. See if you can work with Ousman Sillah on this thing. You guys will
make a formidable team. We sympathize with Sillah and his client's family.
It is shocking to learn that his application fail. Further goes to show that
Mrs. Sey's heart is in the right place. Joof, do us a favor and ask that
Wor-wor be cited for contempt, together with the AG, IGP and the NIA people.
They should pay for the underhand way they dealt with you guys last Friday.
What they did by running to Haddy Roche for those bogus charges, was a clear
affront to the High Court. Again, move fast and get them to file the case
before the court vacation so that you can apply for bail. Keep hope alive
and persevere. You will be vindicated soon.
KB