GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 09:47:59 -0700
"Life is the acceptance of responsibilities or their evasion; it is a
business of meeting obligations or avoiding them. To every man the choice is
continually being offered, and by the manner of his choosing you may fairly
measure him."

- Ben Ames Williams

Our beloved Gambia and its’ people are faced with many choices today.
Choices that have been encountered by many other nations around the world.
What should become of our decisions based on the choices we are faced with
as a sovereign nation is of the utmost importance in these trying times. We
can surely learn from the decisions made by the people of Sierra Leone,
Rwanda, Liberia, to name a few.
Will we choose to continue to endure the robbing of our fundamental rights
by the very institution obliged to safeguard those rights? Should we choose
to continue witnessing the brutal killing and maiming of the innocent among
us? Should we choose to go about our normal business while our brothers and
sisters are being abducted and stashed away like knaves? Should we choose to
ignore the depletion of our economic resources into virtually irreversible
levels? Should we ignore the unwarranted attacks on conceived opponents in
the middle of the night, daylight alike, by a group of social miscreants
sponsored by state machinery? Should we ignore the call for justice by our
little brothers and sisters for which they’ve sacrificed the ultimate...
their lives?
Fellow countrymen, it’s time to put our differences aside and rally behind a
strong leadership to guide us through this judgment call. As our respectful
brother Buharry put it the other day, the Gambia is faced with an unusual
dilemma. One that can only be resolved by a strategic alliance of all
factions within out social set up. Many on this list have confided in
different alternatives. The one alternative that involves every single voice
and ensures tactfulness under a strong and confident leadership is bound to
succeed.

The call is ours... Gambians and friends of Gambia!

Abdoulie A. Jallow
Toll-free number: 1-888-392-4832(Excite2)
Personal extension for v/mail/fax: 291-368-1519