GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Seedy SaidyKhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 11:42:35 EDT
Dawda,

Great points. Personally, I am speechless at the moment considering the
current political trend in our country. I am very worried and scared about
the final outcome of the various and numerous illicit activities of the NIA
and the July 22 Thugs. It is indeed very clear that the whole country is
being held at hostage. The freedom of movement and association, which are
considered as fundamental human rights, have been rampantly violated sine the
inception of the AFPRC/APRC regime. So how much longer does the helpless
Gambia has to wait in order to be rescued from this barbaric and brutal
regime? I think, this is a question that we as Gambians, especially those
living abroad, have to pose to the International Community. This is
absolutely getting out of our hands. I am now convinced that one will be
foolish enough to assume that this regime will be removed by a ballot box.
The indications are abundantly clear. Civil servants are been fired for doing
their jobs right. If a government lawyer and judge are sacked for their
rulings contrary to the desires of the APRC, then why will the members of the
Independent Electoral Commission be an exception?

The Gambia is on the verge of going to a civil unrest unless the
International Community steps in. The political parties can do very little
under the current sociopolitical climate in the country. Can anyone imagine
what would have happened if APRC was successful in putting the UDP officials
and militants behind bars? Is this going to be the end? No, not at all. Wait
until the campaigns are in earnest come 2001 (if the regime is sustained that
long ). The whole idea is to interrupt the electoral process. The APRC
considers this a political strategy. That's the only way they can win; for
they are ware that they have no massive support.

I think, it is less costly to prevent a war than to sponsor peace keeping.
So, I therefore call on the United Nations(UN), Organization of African
Unity(OAU), Economic Community of West African States(ECOWAS), especially
Senegal, to come up with a framework, either individually or collectively, in
order to prevent The Gambia from experiencing any civil unrest. One must
realize that there are many different political elements in The Gambia as
being reported by a member earlier. Yes, left to Gambians alone from a
traditional perspective, don't even think about it. But, with the presence of
the elements of the Cassamance rebels, Guinea Bissau, and of course, the
remnants of the "Libya Camp," anything is possible. All the above-mentioned
groups are trying to find a base in The Gambia, which could be devastating.
Nevertheless, that's the way Sierraleone got destabilized. Charles Taylor
provided homage to these insurgents whose aim is to suck human blood daily.
Thus, this should be an ultimate concern for all Gambians and Senegalese for
that matter.

May God Save The Gambia.

Seedy