GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:48:09 EDT
Mr. Fye,
As always, I read your mails with a lot of interest. I certainly share a lot
of your points with you. I just cannot understand when some people try to
label the Jawara regime as a model of democracy and human rights
Of course what we have now is worse than what we had before, but calling it "
... human rights that earned them respect from other nations around the whole
world" is an insult. The only reason why Gambia was viewed as a model was
because the Jawara regime sat on our heads and brains literally whiles they
corrupted, mentally tortured and deprived us. Therefore the outside world was
blind to some of the human right abuses that prevailed.
What ever the Gambia is going through today under this dictatorial regime was
all seeded by Jawara. I hope the Gambia today can discuss constructively as
you are calling for without bringing Jawara in the picture. It does open some
deep old wounds. We could all join together and continue to fight against
this regime and look forward to better solutions without using a stick to
measure the difference between these two regimes.
In that regard, I join all those who are really ready to fight for our
country's betterment and prosperity.
God bless the Gambia.

Ousman Bojang.