GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:51:34 +0200
Denmark has held one referendum on the Euro  and it was a close "no", and it
was one of the reasons that the former social democrat government in Denmark
lost the general elections held shortly after.

In Denmark we are used to referendum, when it comes to EU. We votes "no" to
Maastricht-declaration and it lead to the situation where Denmark has 4
reservations.  We believe that if the people in the other EU states got the
same chance as we have, we should have seen many "no" votes all over Europe.
France has only held one, and it was also a close yes to the
Edinbourg-declaration. We believe that in the future EU will develop in
steps, like a bicycle-race. Some nations will go in front, some will stay in
the large group, and a few will be behind. Then after some years some will
move up to the group in front, while others will fall back or behind. It is
the realistic political situation.
The positive thing about the referendum system here in Denmark is, that
according to EU-bureau we Danes has the highest score of all EU-populations,
when it comes to common knowledge on EU, what it is all about, how it is
constructed, and function. Amongst the people who is the strongest supporter
of EU (Greece, Spain, Portugal) the generel knowledge amongst the people is
also the lowest in Europe. Something to think about.
A comment from Asbjørn Nordam