GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"James Gomez Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:15:42 +0100
For Immediate Release
Monday, October 15th, 2001

Contact: Ms. Keiana A. Peyton
Press Secretary (773)373-3366

Mr. James Gomez, Jr.
Director for International Affairs (202) 333-5270

Reverend Jesse Jackson Appeals for Peace and Tolerance as Gambians Heads to the Polls

(Washington, DC) Reverend Jesse L. Jackson issued the following statement regarding Thursday's Presidential election in The Gambia.

On the eve of a presidential election in The Gambia, I called upon the political leadership of the APRC, UDP, PDOIS, NRP, and NCP to strongly urge their supporters to honor the constitutional right of every Gambian to participate in a free, fair, and peaceful election. In a democracy, the consent of the governed must be granted. The moral premise of democracy is that each person matters and that every vote counts. It is therefore the responsibility of law enforcement with cooperation from party leaders to ensure the safety of all Gambians as they go to the polls to elect their president.

This presidential election is very vital because it reestablish The Gambia's status in the international community.  The peace loving people of Gambia deserve a permanent membership in the global family of nations and that process begins on Thursday, October 18th, 2001.

The Gambia is globally known for its peacefulness, diversity and its hard working people. This is reflected in the country's national anthem, which partly reads:

"For The Gambia, our homeland
We strive and work and pray,
That all may live in unity,
Freedom and peace each day.
Let justice guide our actions
Towards the common good,
And join our diverse peoples
To prove man's brotherhood."

Freedom, peace, and justice are the principles of democracy. Not to honor this treasured Gambian ideal threatens the foundation of fairness and democracy, upon which unity and prosperity is built.

I call upon all religious leaders in The Gambia to pray for peace during their daily prayers especially on election day.   For it is through prayers and our faith in God/Allah, that we are delivered from evil and lead not into temptation.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

***