GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SUNTOU TOURAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:00:52 +0100
well yeah i aggree with him .poverty ,decease and violence ,but he is taking part in axis of evil .

Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  FYI

Malanding

Courtesy of thepoint.gm

Jammeh Negatives African Union Government
Wednesday 25th July 2007

The president of the republic of The Gambia, Dr. Alhagi Yahya A.J.J.
Jammeh, has reiterated his total opposition to the efforts of some
African leaders to form a continental government, describing it as a
joke and an insult to Africa.

Speaking in a television interview over the weekend, President Jammeh
said that there could only be a union government when one is independent.

"How many countries in Africa are really independent today? We cannot
have a United States of Africa when people cannot move from one country
to the other," he asserted, adding the policies of those calling for the
integration are all anti-African.

According to President Jammeh, Africa's problem is not about creating a
union government but to bring about unity and solve the common problems
that constitute a real fix for every African. The problems, he went on,
are poverty, disease and violence.

The Gambian leader noted that there could not be a union government when
some members of the African Union are members of the Arab League, a
situation which, he opined, might lead to problems when a union
government is put in place.

"Why don't we put up our resources together to create a fund where we
will be free from the IMF and the World Bank so that we have an African
Monetary Fund where all African countries can benefit," Jammeh queried.

Africa, President Jammeh added, needs real unity where the problem of
one country becomes the problem of all others. "Somebody wants to be an
emperor for Africa but one thing is very clear. Gambia will not be
colonized twice," he noted.

He was however quick to add that such a government could never be
brought about by the heads but that it has to be engineered by the
people at the grassroots level.

He noted that this is only possible if the people know each other,
relate and interact freely as Africans.

Turning to the West, President Jammeh said instead of putting an end to
Africa's wars, the G8 saw a golden opportunity to fuel wars in Africa by
saying that African leaders must judge each other. "In their peer review
mechanism in the West, are there the same violations of human rights?"
he queried.

The Gambian leader concluded by charging that Africans and Asians are
being killed on a daily basis and no investigation is carried out just
because they are black or brown and not Europeans.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい