GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:18:04 -0500
From: "Topher Hamblett" <[log in to unmask]>
e from Topher
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:03:12 -0500

Greetings, everyone.

I hope this finds you and your families doing well.

From Feb 6-8  I was in The Gambia, meeting with University faculty and
administrators, as well as our NGO partner, The Gambian Women's Finance
Association (GAWFA).

The meetings were very productive.   UTG officials, at our urging, are
developing a plan for managing and distributing the shipment.

The container with the textbooks arrived at the port in Banjul just
hours before I left the country.  Lamin and I just received word that,
following some delays involving the shipper and freight forwarding
company, the
container is now  ready to moved to the University.    While we all had
planned and hoped for a handing-over ceremony with GAWFA and UTG while I
was in the country, we are pleased that the shipment has arrived .
There is great excitement at the UTG about our efforts.

We have final confirmation from Sabre Foundation on the quantity and
value of textbooks:

15,262 Books, valued at  $809,820   (Sabre Foundation's estimated fair
market value - which is retail minus 20%.).

They have asked TFWA to consider helping them build their library (this
means books, computers, etc.)  I told them that it is imperative that
this first shipment be well-managed.  Then we can talk about potential
next step.

Finally..thanks for you contributions to date.  The people at GAWFA and
UTG were inspired to hear that the Gambian community (including friends
of) is pitching.

We still have a lot of work to do to raise the full $25,000.   Sabre
Foundation has sent an invoice for that amount to TFWA.  Please, please
spread the word, make a donation and encourage contributions.

We will send you updates on the handing-over ceremony - scheduled for
next Wednesday, March 1.

Please contact me or Lamin Sarr with any questions, contacts, ideas,
etc.

Many thanks,

Topher

Topher Hamblett