GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nabiha Safriwe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:12:47 -0800
THEY CAME IN THE NIGHT

The gentle drumming of the rain on the corrugated roof
is like a lullaby to my tired soul.
"Umuja is dead!"  My mind screams.
From the Baobab tree comes the eerie hooting
Of the demonic owl as if echoing my pain.
The rain has stopped, tentatively amongst the swaying
Palm trees the moon emerges, illuminating Hindus face
as she lay sleeping.
Gazing upon her I could not help but marvel at her
childlike innocence.  Turning on her side, she mutters
something and started sucking on her thumb.
Protectively I pulled the sleeping child into my arms
and vowed never to let harm come to her.
Ah! the pain, the anger and finally the acceptance
that came with my husbands demise.
The terror of that night comes to me in the dark.
I can visualize the surprise and then the despair on
Umujas face when they came for him.
Bravely he had fought for his life, before he was
dragged by the ears into the dark, dark night.
Oh, my heart feels like a lead that sinks in to my
stomach, as the tears streamed down my swollen face.
"Oh,my poor, poor baby"
I sobbed as I hugged Hindus to my chest.
Out in the cold, cold night the wind howl and the moon
is suddenly shrouded by the clouds.
Pitte, pitta, pitte, pitta, it is raining again.....

Nabiha Safriwe

=====