GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Modou Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:26:08 EDT
Halifa Sallah wrote:

"Finally, it is important to indicate to you that what kept Yahya here is his
capacity to assimilate all the institutions, people and practices that he has
found when he took over power. He still has grip over the opinion leaders, the
traditional rulers and many other sectors of Gambian society. He has learnt to
accumulate and take bags of sugar to mosques, dish out money to opinion
leaders in order to maintain his control.

Unless we acknowledge the fact that there are forces in Gambian society
which have been manipulated from the very beginning to have vested interests
in preserving Yahya in power, we will be thinking that we are combating a
giant oppressing Liliputs rather than interests which come together when they
are confronted with situations which could lead to a threat in pursuing those
interests. We are battling social forces which keep personalities in power and
not just those personalities in isolation from those social forces."

Mr Sallah,

Strategies and tactics aside, I agree with your diagnosis (quoted above) of
the problem in The Gambia. May I add that Yahya's grip is not only limited to
traditional leaders but also the socalled intellectuals with paper PhDs,
MScs,MAs etc.

Thus removing yahya with force is not going to solve our problem. the same
interest groups will soround the new coup leader and create another Yahya.
This was the same problem in the Gambia under Jawara. He was removed by force,
and many people were elated. Well the same inerest groups have consolidated
Yahya's power. Because Yahya is less mature and less educated than Jawara, he
is abusing that power more excessively than Jawara did. Thus we have a worse
problem.

People need to think more seriously about the problems back home. There is no
simple fix. We must stop blaming each other and find real and lasting
solutions. We must think beyond Yahya. What's there to stop Yahya's
replacement from being another Yahya or another Jawara? those who espouse
solutions must also address these issues.

I agree with PDOIS's strategy of enlightening the people and taking away the
ability of leaders and special interest groups to manipulate them. This is a
very slow and painstaking process, thus people who want a quick fix are
frustrated with PDOIS's pace.

However, those who call for Yahya's removal by force (or the quickest possible
way) must also explain how thier strategy will not only remove Yahya, but also
PREVENT another Yahya. Until then, I will bite my teeth and take the peaceful
route.

best regards,
Modou