GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:15:24 -0400
Mr. Camara, thanks for your response. With all due respect to you, I do not
think that the sequence of events went the way that you narrated. Correct me
if I am wrong, but I think Jaiteh sent a mail to G_L at 13:01 admonishing
Prof. Assan for his mail. Then according to the mail Prof. Assan submitted
to G_L, originating from Jaiteh to the List Managers and Assan, Jaiteh did
not privately admonish Assan until 13:11; ten minutes later. I might be
missing something here. But from my vantage point, Jaiteh took it upon
himself to protest for Kebba Jobe and threatened to 'delist' Assan.

I am no computer wiz but I can figure enough to know that you cannot censor
messages as they come in from active subscribers. What you can do as List
Managers, is what Jaiteh did to Assan. You will apply your so-called rules
inconsistently hoping that people will lose their tempers and voluntarily
'delist' themselves or say things that we might all regret.

I deliberately try to fight my battles and respond to people when they
offend me on G_L. I hope you understand that I am not trying to get you to
'delist' anyone on my behalf. I dealt with Alieu Keita and I can adequately
deal with Kebba Jobe. But is it out of place for me to ask where Jaiteh's or
the List Managers' sense of justice was when Kebba Jobe attacked me
personally without substantiating what he was saying? Do not get me wrong.
People can call me vulgar. But they have to make it stick. Show my
vulgarity. Show my selfishness or my absurdity. If they cannot do that, that
is vicious personal attacks (lies) in my book. These are attacks that also
deserve the attention of List Managers. Or is Jaiteh going to tell us that
Kebba Jobe went to him whining about Assan's attacks?

Let us apply the rules consistently. Did you follow your rules here by
waiting for Kebba Jobe to complain? Did you follow that up be asking Assan
to state his case before he was asked to apologize? Perhaps I am reading the
wrong rules here. The rules you sent deals with dispute resolution when we
have a complaining subscriber. I could not find anything that deals with the
kind of language List Management would tolerate. I also did not see there
provisions dealing with people that 'offend' G_L 'apologizing' to G_L.
Again, maybe I am missing something here. But what Jaiteh purported to do,
was admonish Assan for language Jaiteh thinks is offensive to List
Management. Jaiteh also thinks that the language is offensive to all of us
and therefore asked Assan to apologize to all of us. I am narrating what
Jaiteh purported to do. But we all know that the apology was meant for Kebba
Jobe. Please quote us the specific provisions that say that language
offensive to (Jaiteh) List Management and G_L is an 'expel-able offense'
even where  the person the rhetoric affected, did not complain?

You see, rules are very funny things. They can always come back to bite
unexpected victims. Camara, I have a lot of respect for List Management and
the service you are provide for the Gambia. Because of that I will not get
into it with you about Ebrima Ceesay as of now. As I said before, I do not
know the full story from Ebrima's side. I was just giving my own deductions.
If you feel that nothing unfair was done to Ebrima by you, that is your
prerogative. I am sticking to my view that List Management's handling of the
'Alieu Keita' incident has something to do with Ebrima's withdrawal. I will
take your advise and contact him privately to ask him why he is silent.
Thanks again for your contributions.
KB