GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 11:43:50 -0800
Greetings, Ylva.  I think that we, meaning Westerners, have to be careful as to how we "educate"
people.  Because we have a tendency to act morally superior to the people we are seeking to
"educate".

     I am currently reading the Hernlund / Duncan book, and I find it to be most informative.  It
seems that while some forms of FGC could quite possibly be harmful, maybe some are less harmful
and pose less long-term problems than others.  Also, it is quite possible that some forms of FGC,
while posing short-term risks which could be lowered or eliminated, may not pose the supposed
horrrible long-term "complications" of forms such as infibulation.

     I guess at this point, what I'm "against" is not the practice of FGC itself, but am against
the long-term harm it is purported to cause to women and girls.  However, if the literature and
research doesn't support such "harm", then there is no reason for me to be against the practice,
simply because it doesn't match up with my own cultural ideas of sexuality.

     I'd started to write a blog post on this subject, however, I deleted it, because I'd changed
my mind on writing it.  However, as a practicing Muslim, I can definitely relate to how it feels
to have so-called "Western culture" imposed upon you and to be made to feel that your outlook is
somehow backward, misguided, etc.  Especially, in today's society, as regards sexuality, etc.  And
it horrifies me to think that I could have possibly, inadvertently, engaged in the same sort of
thing as regards the topic of FGC.

     I do not feel that I, as a "Westerner" am culturally superior to anyone else, however I do
know that "Western" or "American" cultural superiority, is held by some, I've even heard my own
grandmother exclaim how such-and-such people are backward, etc.  So it is definitely there.  And
I'd also say that prior to me becoming a Muslim, I have, on many occasions, displayed cultural
arrogance and superiority, and I can truly say that I'm ashamed of that.   And maybe I still am
displaying such arrogance, though I'm trying my best to remedy and do away with that.

Ginny

Visit me and read my blog online at:  http://quickgm28.blogs.com/

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい