GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:12:50 -0500
Eritrea-displaced,feature-sched
   Morale good despite tough conditions for displaced Eritreans
   by Carol Pineau
   ATTENTION - FEATURE ///

   KOTOBIA, Eritrea, March 31 (AFP) - Under the shade of a spreading acacia
tree, 20 third-grade students sat on large rocks and logs, eagerly raising
their hands to read passages in English from a textbook on Eritrea's wild
life.
   "Who can read? Who can read?" asked Jerusalem Tesfaimariam, an 18-year-
old
from Asmara doing her military service as an English teacher at Kotobia, a
camp for Eritrea's war-displaced and rural deportees from Ethiopia.
   By a nearby tree, 11-year old Zewdi Kiros stood next to a cracked
blackboard hanging from the tree as she struggled to recite her science
lesson. Fourth grade history is taught under another tree.
   "It's really hard for the students. There is not enough shade for them,
there is dust and wind, and they are distracted by all the people and
livestock passing by," teacher Tesfaimichael Woldit said.
   Up on the hill, a dozen classrooms are under construction, but until
they
are completed, students make do with their "under-the-tree" classes, part
of
the Eritrean Relief and Refugee Commission's (ERREC) attempt to give the
displaced and deported as normal a life as possible.
   In the past six months, life has improved for Kotobia's 23,093
residents,
as well as for other displaced residents of camps located within 100
kilometers (60 miles) of Berantu, a large city 240 kilometers (150 miles)
southwest of Asmara.
   Eight new fresh-water points put in by Oxfam International have put an
end
to five-hour treks. Toilets and washing areas have reduced water-borne
diseases.
   With each new improvement, from sanitation to schools, comes the
depressing
realization: the prospect of returning home soon is dim.
   Near one water point, women divided rations for children: grain, canned
milk and dates. The mood was jovial, with animated talk and laughter.
   Residents are keen to keep busy, according to administrator Elias Habte,
noting that many set up tea salons, bars, tailor's shops and small shops
selling basic provisions within days of arriving.
   "Some of them, they brought five or ten cows. They sell them and use the
money to start these little, little shops. They try to do something. To
live
in the world you must do something," he said.
   More than 483,000 Eritreans have been displaced by the war with
Ethiopia,
more than 10 percent of the population of Africa's newest independent state.
   Some said they were deported from Ethiopia and that their livestock and
goods were confiscated.
   Feeding, clothing and sheltering the people is a massive undertaking,
but
according to the ERREC, international donations have been only a trickle.
   "We need tents, tents, tents," Gebretensai Gebremichael administrator of
the nearby Adi Keshi camp, said, pointing to the plastic tarpaulins that
serve
as the only shelter for many residents.
   The United Nations Development Programme recently donated high-quality
tents, but Gebretensai said rain, wind, dust and harsh sunlight destroy
them
within six months.
   Blankets and pediatric medicine are needed, he explained, adding, "if
kerosene is not brought in, the people will destroy the forest."
   Deforestation is a major problem in Eritrea, and camp residents are
already
having to walk further and further, at times up to four hours, to find
firewood.
   As a hot, dusty wind ripped through a large hole in a tent at nearby
Jeja
camp, Nagiste Kidane, a young mother of five, washed her young daughter in
pail of water.
   She said she dreams of having a farm again one day, but for now, she is
just trying to survive.
   Residents cannot farm the adjacent land, as it is already owned by the
surrounding villages.
   Nagiste was deported from Ethiopia's northern Tigray province.
   "They told us to come to a meeting, but then they arrested my husband,
took
all our animals and household goods, then forced me to walk to the Eritrean
border. It was four days without food or water for my children"
   She said she has not heard from her husband since.
   "Where these people lived before, they had a good house, good land and a
good life. Now there are six to eight in a tent, if they even have a tent.
During the cold season the tents don't give any warmth, during the hot
season,
they are unbearably hot. But the people have no choice. They can only wait
for
peace," said Gebretensai.
   Back under the acacia trees, a class of second graders sang: "Eritrea we
love you. We are your children, and when we grow up we are going to help
build
you."
   But first, these children need peace to return to their homes.
   cap/agv