GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Angelika Prox-Dampha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 00:17:22 -0000
Dear Haruna,
you picked a very important topic. Thank you for that.

Unhealthy teath can cause severe damage to ones health, besides the pain and
the uglyness. It may seriously affect the  general health by infecting the
gum and germs entering into the blod circulation. Lack of teeth resulting in
disability of proper chewing also affect peoples ability of accessing
healthy nutrition.

However because of the cost, people in The Gambia often shy away from
treatment except pulling of the tooth,  if it is too painful. In adition,
most people might not be aware of the possiblities repairing
teath.Traditional chewing sticks bear the risk of little wood peaces being
stuck in holes and spaces which would start to rot there and thus rather add
to the problem than solve it.

I wondered many times, why people do not take action, but leave even their
front teath to rot.
In addition I found many youth not being trained of regularly brushing their
teath. Inststead they will enjoy sugary foods or drinks (Attaya) before
going to bed, without brushing the teeth.

Would a sensitisation campain be useful? I remember we had a lot of it when
I was a child at primary school in Germany. I think the image of the "little
tooth monsters" hammering to destroy my teath still sticks in my head and
makes me to be mindful.

Best regards
Angelika