GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
koto Faal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:51:16 +0000
Ams,
I would agree to disagree with what you put forward, yes far "dayjj" or
funerals, it is wrong for anyone to profit from the inevitable but I think
also as decent individuals and for that matter as a society,to give money to
the bereaved family which is a jihad in its own right.Even western societies
has a mechanism helping the bereaved family during such a turbulant time by
providing assistance in the form of cash at the time of death and after as a
widow allowance. In our society seldomly that we give assistance to a male
widower but generally its given to the women because most, if not all do not
work to help and feed the family long after the bread winner has gone, but I
also disagree to the style of the senegalese where funerals are treated as
"Houmbales" and presents and cash are exchanged, the road is bumpy ahead and
they should know better what to do with the money.As for Naming ceremonies
or any other event, it depends to the individual to decides what best for
him to spend his money, if you are soft hearted and orators find their way
to get to you by what your great grand fathers has done, and you choose to
live in the limelight then you are the "GUEWELS" fish and I have no problem
with that, people choose the way they spend their money and I think thats
their right. I know you have your own way of spending your money and no one
has the right to say no to that, its your hard earn cash, so does the
others, it doen't mean if you do not agree to that way of life,then is
wrong,its not that case of wrong and right, its the will of the people, they
choose what they feel is right for them. Ams is it right to celebrate life
after death, if its yes then I rest my case, if no then I will put it to you
that most people from the so called civilised world do celebrate life after
death by throwing lavish parties for friends and families, which is the same
thing or even worse.
The bottom line is all these issues are personal. On that note I hope that
it shed some light as to why I came down heavily on karamba, and I also hope
he will take things with rich vein and move on.

masalam Koto