GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:37:00 +0100
Sister Jabou wrote:

"...Jammeh would have found other means of making good on his threats
against these men. He made the promise himself for all Gambians to hear
and record. He stood before Gambians and dared to say that some people
will not witness the 2006 elections".

Well Sis, my point of departure is simply that the threats themselves
were the effects of President Jammeh's knowledge of the purported
forgeries. So again, whatever means he finds to make good on his threats
will have been indirectly produced by the decision by the Senegalese
authorities to make him privy to the contents of documents of dubious
origin and authenticity. Consequently, even now, when NADD should have
been strategising for the campaign, consolidating it positions in
different constituencies, selecting its flag bearer, the little
resources they have in terms of money and time, are going to be
channeled into securing the unconditional release of its leaders.

Yes, it is unfortunate that we should call Senegal a foreign country,
despite our ethnic affinity with its people. But I have no doubt that
the regimes in both countries will be pursuing their national interests,
or rather the interests of the power elite,  even if that should be
detrimental to the wishes and hopes of large sections of their
populations. Senegal, has shown time and again that it has little regard
for the security of ordinary Gambians:
The second most violent student demonstration in Gambian history was
prompted by the severe beating of Gambian villagers by armed Senegalese
soldiers in the early seventies. The soldiers crossed the border and
attacked villagers in the North bank.
Days after the tragic killing of Eku Mahoney in October 1980 at the
police depot,  Senegalese air force personnel landed at Yundum
international airport and forced its closure. (And you know, I was a
trainee communications officer at the airport, and I was on duty, and a
certain colonel Ngom, a graduate from the university of Dakar, said to
the air traffic controller and myself that he could not explain the
reasons behind the order; that he was simply following them).
 Others had embarked and occupied MacCarthy Square in Banjul. It was
nothing short of an invasion. President Jawara went on the air and lied
that their presence was on account of a joint military exercise!
Then came the Kukoi rebellion, and perhaps more than a thousand Gambians
were killed by Senegalese soldiers; and then the Confederation and its
lopsided arrangements in favour of Senegal..

Senegal will pursue its strategic objectives irrespective of who is
Gambian president. So while Jammeh-bashing is in vogue, it is perhaps
all the more necessary to cast a glance across the the border once in a
while.

Many thanks,
Momodou

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい