GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:54:26 EDT
We are getting reports that members of the UDP leadership on a campaign tour
have been viciously ambushed by terrorists riding in unmarked pickup trucks
yesterday somewhere in the provinces. An initial assessment points to a
shadowy group under the leadership of Baba Jobe consisting of thugs trained,
armed and actively encouraged by the government to essentially perpetrate
violence on law abiding citizens. This time it seems these state sponsored
criminals lied in waiting to essentially kill these politicians. Cold blooded
murder, an attribute that has tragically gained currency during this
administration is something we the people have to constantly confront. Bereft
of support, ideas or direction, this government has concluded they must wield
the ultimate leverage of a tyranny and that, list members, is to use murder
and the threat of general violence to muzzle people into submission. Knowing
they can't delay, rig or otherwise alter the upcoming elections, they are
resorting to conspiring to kill their opponents and the rest of the country
that is firmly set at ousting them. The Gambian people will never succumb to
the whims of heathens and despicable folks like Yahya Jammeh and Baba Jobe.
The only reason the scope of violence did not go beyond the already severe
injuries was the relative size of the UDP delegation and the fact that they
did what they could under the circumstances to defend themselves. We have to
move from the understandable but self defeating notion that in the face of
overwhelming force a people must roll over and play dead anytime a gun
wielding thug sees it fit to brutalize them. Why should I let you murder me
or by people? Life isn't worth much if one can't exercise the freedom to live
it. The only reason the spates of killings or attempts thereof have not
abated since Yahya Jammeh has instituted his Ghadaffi style of pacifying an
uncooperative population through terror is the fact that Baba Jobe and other
killers like him have always gotten away with their crimes.Killing those who
set out to kill you is considered legitimate self defense even in Sharia. I
know well meaning pacifist  would prefer somethingelse . To them I say with
people like Yahya Jammeh your available options are nil. Tyrants the world
over are not interested in genuine contest of ideas. What drives them is the
raw exercise of power. In the process they treat the lives of dissenters and
ordinary folk as expendable commodity that must be disposed off if and when
it stands in their way. I will try to kill to kill Baba Jobe if and when he
tries to kill me. For that I will never apologize. I have had it with these
people!

Karamba