GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MSSidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 01:41:18 +0100
Cherno Jallow,

You certainly have a point in maintaining that objective judgment of our
leaders is impossible without giving due consideration to the  practical
consequences of their beliefs and policies. Certainly,  Mwalimu saying one
thing or another hardly eased the burden on Tanzanian backs.

I think however that, an important missing ingredient from even your piece
and that of Dr. Ayitteh and Mr. Shirima is the ideological imperative, that,
perhaps more than anything else, inspired and informed the political choices
made by the late Nyerere and other Pan-Africanist leaders of his generation.
With time, I should be able to contribute an opinion on this within the
week.

Last but not the least, I must express disappointment at your choice of
words in your personal references to Mr. Halifa Sallah.
Issues of this weight are a rarity on Gambia-L (my opinion, obviously).
While it did not seem to cloud your judgement, your unnwarranted attack on
Halifa's person seeks to personalise the issue to a degree it does not
deserve.

I hope Mr. Sallah will refrain from taking your cue and instead respond in
such a manner as to accord this debate some decency, lest it becomes one in
the line of casualties of unnecessary net-guerillarism.

Cheers,
Momodou Sidibeh