GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:41:47 GMT
Astrid,

This is a very interesting perspective on The Gambian story. I hope to live
to see the day when such a scenario becomes possible in The Gambia. That day
ought to be a jubilee in our nation, because we would have come full circle.
However, as painful as it is to admit, we as Gambians don't care enough
about each other to risk our lives (for each other.) To the average Gambian,
it's "no problem" unless trouble hits home! But, as long as it's someone
else's relative, it's not worth sticking one's neck out for.

I'll give you an example. Just a few weeks ago, a so-called "nice/decent"
and "educated" Gambian had the nerve to call me and give me "advice" about
Gambian politics. This fool told me among other things, that I need to stop
criticizing this criminal govt because "they haven't done anything to you
(me.") That I need to "concentrate on finding land back home, and developing
it for investment purposes." And that "what happens there happens
everywhere... etc, ect."

Normally, I would interrupt such crap, and roast the person, but I let this
fool finish his piece, and I calmly asked him if it would be ok for me to
keep quiet when this govt arrests, and beat the crap out of HIS mom? Or
torture HIS father? Or shoot down HIS brother? Or rape HIS sister? There was
absolute silence at his end, because he wasn't expecting that line of
questioning. Needless to say, our conversation had a sudden heart attack. He
started apologizing. I said: "for what are you apologizing? I'm not offended
at all by your 'advice.' I just want to make sure I understand what you're
saying." I repeated my questions again. I didn't get any answers. Typical
Gambian attitude!

How can any nation that produces such "educated" people progress? Fifteen
little kids get mowed down by this criminal regime, but "they haven't done
anything to me" because no blood relative of mine was killed! Can you
imagine that type of mentality? And as sad as it is, this person is in the
majority. It just makes me wanna cry. Now you can understand why some of us
get really upset. But don't worry, the next time around, I'll come as a
Dane. There's just too much heart-ache in being Gambian...

Saul.