GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:14:42 +0100
WHAT LED TO THE EVENTS OF 10 APRIL?
A Student Gives His Version

In his affidavit in support of the application to the High Court to release
20 detained students, Alieu Darboe, president of the University Students'
Union gave a version as to what led to the events of 10 April 2000, which we
publish in full as follows:

I ALIEU DARBOE, of Kanifing KSMD, a student, of Gambian Nationality make
oath and say as follows:

1. I am the deponent herein and a member of Gambia Student Association.

2. I am the President of the University of The Gambia Students Union which
is a sub-union of the Applicant (Gambia Student Association), and as such
President I am an honorary executive member of the Applicant.

3. I am aware by virtue of my membership in the Gambia Student Association
that the applicant was lawfully registered as a charitable organisation
under the Companies Act Cap. 95.01 of The laws of The Gambia, and issued
with a Certificate of Incorporation No. 264/1992.

4. I am aware that the applicant had organised a peaceful demonstration by
its members to petition the Government of The Gambia for redress of their
grievances over the death of one Ebrima Barry and the raping of one Binta
Manneh, all acts believed to have been committed by security officers of the
State.

5. The said demonstration was to have taken place on 10th April 2000 and
students were to converge at the gate of Gambia Technical Training Institute
at kanifing for the procession.

6. On 9th April, 2000 the executive of the applicant held a meeting at St.
Therese's Middle School at Kanifing in which I was present. At the said
meeting one Alieu Khan, the President of Gambia College Sub-Union, informed
us that the Secretary of State for Local Government and Religious Affairs,
Retired Captain Lamin Kaba Bajo informed him that he heard the applicant was
planning a demonstration. The said Secretary of State told Alieu Khan that
he was going to arrange a meeting for some members of the applicants
Executive Committee to meet the Vice President and some Secretaries of State
in order to find a peaceful solution to the crisis over the death of Ebrima
Barry and the raping of Binta Manneh.

7. The meeting that Retired Captain lamin Kaba Bajo was arranged was for
10th April, 2000 the day appointed for the peaceful demonstration.

8. The meeting requested Alieu Khan to ask Retired Captain Lamin Kaba Bajo
to send a motor vehicle to pick up the members who were selected to attend
the proposed meeting. The venue for pick up was to be at the gate of Gambia
Technical Training Institute.

9. It was agreed that we explore the possibility of dialogue with State
authorities and report back to all members.

10. It was further agreed that we postpone demonstration pending the outcome
of the meeting with the State authorities which would then determine our
future action as an association.

11. It was already late in the day to contact students, and we agreed to
converge at the gate of Gambia Technical Training institute as earlier
communicated to members of the applicant and to inform them of the new
development. It was agreed that we ask them to wait for us to go to the said
meeting and give them a feed back after the meeting.

12. On 10th April, 2000 whilst converging opposite Gambia Technical Training
Institute the paramilitary officers arrived in battle gears. One of them
held a hand public address system and immediately announced that all
students were to disperse. This was certainly not what we expected after
Retired Captain Lamin Bajo's proposal was accepted and communicated to him.

13. The executive members of the applicant and myself told students not to
disperse but to keep off the road and remain calm.

14. I saw the same paramilitary officer who made the announcement use his
mobile telephone after which i saw him talk to the other paramilitary
officers who were immediately galvanised into activity. They attacked
students beating them with batons and there was utter chaos.

15, I saw Omar Joof, the President of the applicant and Baboucarr Jonga, the
External Relations Officer of the applicant arrested by the paramilitary. I
was also arrested together with one Alajie Darboe, the Vice President of the
applicant.

16. We were taken to the paramilitary base at Kanifing which was next door
to the Police Mobile Traffic office, where we were detained together with
other students. Whilst in detention all students at the said paramilitary
base were beaten and kicked all over our bodies.

17. Whilst in detention the Secretary of State for Interior, Ousman Badjie,
visited us and told us that he believed we were being used by some elements
which Mr Omar Joof vehemently denied. Ousman Badjie then ordered our release
and informed Omar Joof, Baboucarr Jonga, Alajie Darboe and myself to go with
him to the meeting at the office of the Vice president. I then realised that
Retired Captain Lamin Bajo had indeed arranged the meeting.

18. On our way out we heard sporadic gun shots; we saw a thick smoke and
people running helter skelter.

19. The Secretary of State for Interior requested us as members of the
applicant association to address students and ask them to remain calm, our
efforts failed because security officers were firing at students who were in
turn hurling stones at them and some made barricades on the highway to stop
the security officers from advancing.

20. I am aware that no student was armed; I am also aware that the members
of the applicant did not have access to arms and ammunition. Students only
had stones which they picked on the road.

21. I am aware that there was no demonstration since the demonstration
itself was postponed pending our meeting with the Vice President and
Secretaries of State.

22. Omar Joof, Baboucarr Jonga, Alajie Darboe and I requested the Secretary
of State for Interior to ask the paramilitary officers to stop firing and to
retreat, the said Secretary of State retorted that the order had already
been given and he was unable to stop them.

23. We never made it to the meeting and the confrontation between the
security forces and students continued.

24. I am aware, and this was confirmed by the State media, that students
have been arrested nation wide and some died in the commotion; others
seriously injured; some hospitalised, and some still detained.

25. I have been advised by Counsel Hawa Sisay Sabally and I verily believe
that students have not been formally charged before any court for any
offences relating to the events of 10th April, 2000 and 11th April, 2000.

26. I am aware that Pa Alasan Ceesay, Sainabou Jaye, Lamin Jobe, Alhagi
Camara, Ebrima Daffeh, Abdou Sonko and the persons listed in the schedule
attached to the originating summons of the applicant are all students who
are members of the applicant association who have been arrested and are
currently detained by the respondents.

27. The applicant is now aware of the arrest and detention of any security
officer or Government agents or servants for their role in the events of
10th and 11th April 2000.

28. The applicant is not aware of the arrest and detention of any security
officer or Government agents or servants for their role in the events of
10th and 11th April 2000.

29. I believe these detained students are being held incommunicado and have
not been given access to counsel.

30. I believe the healing process can only begin when all students are
released and reunited with their families and friends.

31. I verily believe that the continued detention of these named students
and any other student for that matter will prejudice the Coroner's Inquest
and any proposed inquiry since all these students are potential witnesses.
I make these statements to the best of my knowledge, information and belief.