GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:52:02 EDT
Sidi,

I am so glad that some judges are standing up to the Bush administration to
prevent these secret hearings. This would have allowed the government to do
all sorts of things to people in secret under the guise of national security
and the war on terrorism. While all of us want to be safe and want the same
for our neighbours, loved ones and all of the people in this country and
aorund the World, if the trend is set to let the government have free reign
to be secretive and to violate the civil rights of any detainee in this
country, and to do anything they like in the name of fighting terrorism,
people will soon wake up to find that they have been deprived of all  their
constitutional  rights. The Bush Whitehouse is very clever at creating hype
and unfortunately, those who do not give very deep thought to the entire
issue are easily swept away muh to their own detriment. It is good ot see
that people like Congressman John Conyers of Michigan as well as judges and
attorneys all over this country are standing up to remind Americans that they
cannot afford to  let anyone undermine  the constitution.
I also hopethat this is food for thought for oppressive regimes like the APRC
because they can learn that if one is to say that you have a democracy, the
different branches of government must be allowed to operate independently as
allowed by the constitution of a country because otherwise, no matter what
one says, they are just another dictator pretending to run a democracy.

Jabou Joh