GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M.B.Krubally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:49:03 -0700
Gassa,
like most, I suspected that lack of funds was one of the main reasons why the UDP decided to boycott the NA elections at the last minute. My Happy2K2 posting on Gambia-L, the first posting of the year will confirm my mentioning that they should tell the people the real reason than the excuse they were giving. Hopefully this will put to rest or show why some of us were hesitant to support the UDP. There are more problems within the UDP than we all know, but hopefully Waa will continue talking. Talking about corruption, will this lead to a grand jury investigation with the UDP? The UDP owes the Gambian people an apology.
 I really hope the other oppositions are taking advantage of UDP’s downfall.

Read my Happy2K2 message below

Happy 2K2 to all, but as the New Year arrives and the debate on who betrayed Africa goes on, The Gambia should confront it's traitors that are in the verge of abandoning their citizens without consulting with them. I am referring to the UDP's current decision to not contest in the coming parliamentary elections

In what will be perceived as the most immature move in our country's political history, our National Assembly might be for the first time controlled by one party, due to what, in my personal view, is fear of defeat again by a younger political party. The United Democratic Party's current moves for more than anything is another unwise decision by what seems to be like a party without a strategy. As one of their current supporters put it, "they fear another decisive individual defeat and embarrassment, thus abandoning us".

Like most political oppositions, they have presented some very genuine reasons some of which have yet to be proven, but does that warrant for them to "pull the rug" under their countrymen that fought along side up to now? . My fellow countrymen, our country is at a crossroad heading towards our worst nightmare, and I blame no one but the so-called politicians that "run when the going gets tough". These political pretenders should be held liable for any undemocratic like act that they are encouraging in our country. Boycotting a democratic process is like a call for war, and I think the government should look into what if anything these people should be held responsible for. PDOIS, NCP, GPP should have been good examples to these folks, those party's didn't chicken out in the middle of the game. But like most people, I knew the UDP band was a party that was hastily put together by the former PPP regime, and like an old mud house without a good foundation, they are crumbling.

For heaven shake can someone for the final time tell this UDP group to return to whatever field they know best because they sure are embarrassing themselves and making all of us look bad in the process? Didn't they contest for the Presidency on the same terms and bluntly knowing that our country like most has issues to address? Aren't the problems and challenges they are currently facing the main reason for an opposition? Do they think that walking out on their supporters will solve our country's problems? Isn't this the time when the opposition should fight fiercely for what they believe in, thus speak for the people. I don't know how anyone can justify such a premature move by a group that wants us to entrust our country with them. Is this the way these so-called leaders would have acted if our country's interest were at stake?

I feel the pain and I am angry for all the Human right abuse, illegal vote registering, vote rigging, abuse and what not, but those that warrant for them to disrupt our growing democratic process? And you thought the Talaban left town quickly? The above have long been present in our country for years, to use that as an excuse is like taking us for stupid. If UDP cannot take the heat or running out of funds, they should walk out saying so, but to state the reasons they are leaving for is totally absurd. Like most Gambians I am totally disgusted by their recent moves and decision to disrupt the democratic process of our fragile nation. I only hope that this is the beginning of the last segment of this embarrassment. I pray that the other oppositions don't join these "QUITTERS". I also hope that the New Year sprout some new sense and direction within them. For the Gambia our homeland that we all love. PEACE TO ALL

Momodou Billo Krubally

 Jungle_Sunrise wrote:Folks,

I cannot believe what Waa Juwara is telling Gambians. Chei!! According to
Today's Point's front page story, Waa told a Point reporter, whom he
granted an interview, that he would not, for now, comment on Darboe's
unaccountability regarding party funds as that would be coming in another
publication. Shedding some light as why they boycotted the past National
Assembly elections, this is what he had to say:

"I want to correct my friend, OJ, in a statement he made in the news and
Report Magazine, that it was myself and Kemeseng who were the architects of
the boycott. It is an error, because he is an outsider. Despite being a
coalition partner, he belongs to a different party. The fact of the matter
is that the party has no money to contest the National Assembly and Local
Government ellections. It is Kemeseng and myself who wanted to safe the
party leader from his embarrassment. We were never correctly informed about
the state of affairs of the party's financial situation".

Folks, call me stupid or whatever you want but can anyone honestly tell me
that he/she is not getting more and more confused about this rancour within
the UDP? If my memory serves me right, the UDP made a lot of allegations
about irregularities in the register and conduct of the Presidential
elections, all of which were refuted by the IEC who accused the party of
not being sincere. From then on, people from all walks of life within and
outside the country has been trying to make head or tail of the party's
action without success. I can vividly remember Yankuba Touray telling us
that the UDP was broke, having spent all their resources during the
presidential elections and that was why they were boycotting. Please folks
tell me, who are we to believe? Waa Juwara and Yankuba Touray or the
collective leadership of the UDP which includes him? I am sure you will
read the full interview later today.

Have a good day, Gassa.

Any typos and errors are regretted. I just cannot wait to post this!!

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)