GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malafy Jarju <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 11:59:02 -0800
The dictates of democracy tells us that freedom of speech is one of its corner stones.  With that in mind, one assumes that one is free to say and write about anything. Folks, that only exists in a perfect democracy to which there is no such thing.  I have lived in the west for over half of my life and have seen countless instances where citizens are harassed, maimed, and even jailed for expressing their freedom of speech.  Dr. Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and Louis Farrakhan are just a few examples. Newspapers, Tabloids, Journals etcetera are all held to a certain degree of integrity and trustworthyness.  They create a bond of trust with its readers that they must strive to maintain.   It is perfectly in line to question, doubt and even sue a newspaper/tabloid for misinformation or slander.  We've all heard of Hollywood actors/actresses who file libel suits against newspapers and tabloids.  Journalism has it integrity and the INDEPENDENT/TABLOID has failed in all aspects of jounalism etiquete.

Radio Kankang Journalism for the sake of making a sale is not acceptable anywhere. Since this is not the first time that the Independent/Tabloid newpaper prints 'not so true' stories, it is not prudent to cry foul.  In my view, the INDEPENDENT is a TABLOID masquerading as a trustworthy newspaper and should be held accountable for spreading Radio Kankang news.

This case is closed.  Let's move on.

Malafy "Mafy" Jarju
Software Engineer
Delta Air Lines