GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alhassan Sisay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:13:19 -0800
    During this Middle Voyage experience we remember!
  We remember the singing voices of freed slaves!
  No more whips! No more shackles! No more forced labour!
  The Cold wind in the Atlantic Ocean was so welcoming,as they sailed towards Africa. The DOOR OF NO RETURN WAS NO MORE!
  Oh no! Oh no! Man to Man is so Unjust.
  These were the wise words of a grandson of those slaves right in the heart of Kingston Jamaica.
  Were they slaves or freedom fighters?
  Our ancestors sold,the slave master bought.
  The Slave master bought,our ancentors sold.
  The slave master forced, then slavery was urged to plea.
  Our ancestors resisted Abraham Lincoln became a partner in sympathy.
  Freedom! You are so expensive!
  African blood you are so dear.
  Freedom descended on the shores of Monrovia!

  As the ripples of the waves  grew and crept asunder the wild shirks at Goree Island swam to a dead end.
  No more slave torsos to chop and swallow.
  No more uncontrollable Kunta Kintehs!
  They were called the freed.
  A rebel's mind stands to call them the free.
  Were they slaves or prisoners of an economic war?
  Africa! Thank You for receiving these freedom fighters back.
  Cobblers used leather.
  Black smiths used metal.
  Farmers sowed seeds.
  Fishermen threw nets.
  Hunters held torch lights.
  Preachers became pastors.
  Preachers became Muezzins.
  Resettling in Africa was no hot potatoe for these passengers of Freedom.
  A child was born.
  Her name is Liberia.
  Her last name is Monrovia.
  Unity was the birth day cake.
  Liberia healed the past wounds,it became colour-blind.

  Hello Africans do not make a mistake!
  Lincoln was no African,Oh Yes! Abraham wanted to see a free slave!
  Good and kind do not know colour.
  There were good hearts near the plantations too.
  Some hated the misery.
  Some hated the forced labour.
  They were not slaves!
  What were they?
  Pigeons of freedom.These whites doves of peace and love are still here!
  History cannot be refused...Hmmm...Why not we receive the future with hope?!
  Liberia means Freedom!
  Freedom means Liberia!
  Those archives we saw cannot be wiped away so easily.
  Oh Yes! good hearts are expected to forgive and forget.

  Why did our generation over take the vehicle of peace?
  Why? Why? Why?
  These were not flint lock guns!
  They were rocket launchers!
  They were used within bunkers.
  Where rebels and mercenaries are to rule, fear and terror could be the constitution!
  What a constitution!
  This eerie feeling! These sad days! This terrifying period!
  These dangerous fields!
  Mr War Lord! We cannot salute you anymore!
  Oh No! these tears can fill barrels.
  Oh No! Sadness should not replace Sadness.
  The end of sorrow should have been left in those slave ships.
  No more! Please.No More! tears.
  The helpless, hold this hand!
  The homeless, get in this room!
  Please Brother Fighter No More!