GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:14:56 -0500
A Friends Concern:

Musa, I have to say, complicated as governance is, or building a nation
and a  economy , the answers and solutions are right in front of our
eyes.

As I sat here watching the inauguration of the 43rd President of the
USA, and in fact this would be my sixth inauguration since I came to the
USA, I couldn’t help for being envious. Eventhough, this was an unusual
election, full of controversy, this CIVILIZE PEOPLE were still able to
uphold the rule of law and an orderly transfer of power was carried out.
Opponents who went after each other’s throat, fierce competitors who
heaped every bad syllable at each other, were able to sit down and
participate in this unique process.

America, of course has become my new home, but my love for the old
country is still overwhelming, and I pray that one day, Gambia will
possess this unique resource call “The orderly transfer of power”.
Gambia, like most African countries is plagued with poverty, disease
ridden, political uncertainty, corruption, misery,  and bad leadership.
The mere thought that Gambia can easily become a Sierra Leone, a Liberia
or a Congo is frightening, and everyday this scenario is getting closer
to reality, God help us all.

Musa, maybe Dr.Jammeh should redirect all his commitment for the
creation of this structure, an orderly transfer of power. Any country
that engages in this THING, an orderly, lawful transfer of power, that
alone can be a sole detiminant of building a strong economy and nation.
I don’t want to sound simplistic with this resource----“An orderly and
lawful transfer of power”, but it alone can set the agenda and create
the environment for all other variables like capital formation,
infrastructure development, technology transfer and stability of a
country.

In conclusion, we should again appeal to President Jammeh to redirect
and put all his effort in creating a structure for this new resource,
orderly transfer of power. Especially, after creating uncertainty,
polarization and leading our country to the abyss, an orderly transfer
of power is all it takes to leapfrog to the twenty-first century