GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mr Makaveli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 06:25:41 -0500
IN TODAY'S NEWS culled from the Observer:

Dr Souhegui Rafael, a pathologist at the RVH, yesterday testified before the coroner that live bullets killed two of the three corpses he performed autopsies on.

Dr Rafael told the coroner's inquest at the High Court that a 20mm wound was noticed on the body of Ebrima Badjie, killed in the student riots of April 10, and that  there was blood collection of 1,400ml in his chest, haemorrhage on the left lung and excessive bleeding in the heart where the left lobe and the pulmonary artery were damaged.

The deceased, he added, died as a result of excessive bleeding caused by bullets released from a powerful weapon and not rubber bullets.

On Wuyeh Mansally's death

Dr Rafael said another victim, Wuyeh Mansally, died as a result of gunshots which manifested the nature of live bullets. "Penetrative gunshots were found on the right side of the deceased's neck, the entry of which was 25mm large. The exit was 30 x 5mm. The upper jaws of the deceased was also destroyed, he said.

Challenged by the coroner to explain why he was sure that the deaths were as a result of live bullets and the different entry and exit point sizes for the bullets, the doctor declared that although rubber bullets have the capacity to create some sort of injury and penetration, they can't do extensive damage like live bullets. He maintained that the wounds were caused by live bullets fired at about 13 to 15 metres from the victim. The high speed bullet, which he said reduces velocity when penetrating from inside, has the tendency of damaging a lot of tissues at its exit point than the entry and that he said, explains the difference in the two points.

On Abdoulie Sanyang's Death

On the death of Abdoulie Sanyang, the evidence of which did not mention any injury caused by a gunshot, Dr Rafael said from general examinations, there was no damage or wound or evidence of a chronic disease on the deceased. But an internal examination showed haemorrhage in the thoracic cavity. There was no damage on the heart or abdominal cavity.  "There was no evidence of haemorrhage in the brain too," the doctor said.

However, he added, microscopic findings revealed focal alveolar haemorrhage. He said there was blockage and rapture of the alveoli wall. The bleeding of the left lung and the rupture of the small pulmonary vessel were noticed. The possible cause of death, he said, could have been that of "crushing". Specifically, he said "there was left pulmonary haemorrhage."

All the three autopsy reports were tendered and marked as exhibits.

Earlier, the coroner heard testimonies of more people as investigations into the cause of death of victims of the student riots continued.

In his testimony, Biram Jobe, a detective inspector at the police Serious Crime Unit, said he was at the GTTI on April 10 when students staged the demonstration.

"I went back to police headquarters and was later assigned to go and look for victims in the student demonstrations," he said.

Mr Jobe who told the inquest that he had been serving the police for 17 years, said he visited the mortuary at RVH and found corpses. He said the following day, he prepared a form in order to enable them to prepare the post mortem report. He said they had 11 bodies on that day and all were identified except one, which he said was finally buried at Old Jeshwang cemetery.

Mr Jobe added that he went with investigators from the Scientific Support Unit of the police to take photographs of all the happenings at the mortuary. He said photographs were taken before and during the autopsies. Mr Jobe tendered photographs of the victims before the coroner.

During the cross examination, father of the late Lamin Bojang, Abdoulie Bojang, asked the detective inspector why he failed to invite him to witness the autopsy of his son. Mr Jobe  said bereaved parents should have informed them of their intention to attend.

He said he found Mr Bojang taking photographs of his son but at the time, he did not know whether he was the father.

Mustapha Kujabi said he is a neighbour to Kebba Sanyang, father of the late Abdoulie Sanyang.

He explained that he was in his house when he heard gunshots. "I came running out and saw people running. After inquiring, I was told that students are demonstrating and the police are trying to disperse them."

He said after returning to his house, the parents of the deceased came and requested him to help them to bury their dead.

"They said they wanted to bury the child and some were arguing that he is not dead. I asked them what happened, they said while gunshots were heard around the GTTI, the child tried to run and he fell down around their gate. In order to satisfy both parties, I told them to refer the child to the RVH where I found Dr Bangura, who confirmed him dead," Mr Kujabi said.

In his testimony, Baba Njie of Brikama, father of the later Momodou Lamin Njie, said he received the news of the death through one Francois Jobe. He said his son who was studying at GTTI died during the student unrest but he doesn't know where.

Basiru Barrow, father of the late Karamo Barrow, said, "I last saw my son on Monday April 10."

He said his son graduated from ICE High School in 1999 and he was making arrangements to send him abroad for further studies.

Sittings continue today.

Gambiansonline ..Designed With The Gambian People In Mind.
To join our Mailling List e-mail us at [log in to unmask]
Don't forget to join our Chatrooms.