GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:50:46 -0400
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [>-<] Juwara Accuses Darboe Of Deceiving Gambians
From: "THE POINT NEWSPAPER" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Gambia | Post" <[log in to unmask]>

Juwara Accuses Darboe Of Deceiving Gambians
The unfinished war of words between UDP's Lamin Waa Juwara and his party
leader Ousainou Darboe, has intensified with Mr. Juwara accusing Darboe
of  trying to deceive and mislead Gambians by claiming that he used his
family  landed property to contest the October18 Presidential Elections.
Renewing his criticism against his one time close associate, Juwara told
The  Point yesterday in an interview, that Darboe's assertion in an
interview  with BBC's Focus on Africa Programme that he used his family
landed property  to contest the past presidential elections was far from
the reality. While branding Darboe as a failed politician, Waa Juwara
maintained that the  UDP leader used the party's funds amounting to half
a million Dalasis to  facilitate his candidature as a presidential
aspirant.
This Juwara charged, was done without his knowledge or those of other
senior  members of the UDP, which eventually led to the party's
bankruptcy leading  to their failure to take part in the Parliamentary
and local government  elections.
The UDP strongman argued that for Darboe to turn around and say he used
proceeds from his family property to contest the elections, was a mere
empty  statement intended to mislead and deceive the nation. "I think he
is talking  nonsense. How many family property did he sell in 1996? Is he
saying that in  1996 also when the party paid over D450, 000 on his
behalf before he could  contest? Because you know it is a requirement
that you need an income tax  clearance certificate from the commissioner
of Income Tax before you could  stand for elections and he had failed to
pay his taxes which is tax  evasion," said Juwara.
Mbarodi, added that the prevailing circumstances don't tell well on a
leader  who is bent on saying that "What we need in this country is
accountability.  So, I think what he is trying to say is so cheap that
nobody is going to  accept that story."
Juwara who has been in the news in recent times told The Point that the
right thing Darboe could have done was to resign honourably as party
leader  since he had failed to deliver the goods by not living up to the
party's  expectations.
" We have given him two chances and we subscribed as a party to two five
years terms. Even if he had won the presidential elections, he could not
stand in another elections. This makes it clear that we do not want
another  Chiluba in The Gambia," Juwara charged while calling on Darboe
to step down. He claimed that under Darboe's leadership, there has not
been any  accountability and transparency on issues relating to the
party's funds. "A party of our standing which is the main opposition
party, don't have a  single power sharing at any level, that means
disaster. As at now, the party  is totally bankrupt, because of the way
they have handled the finances of  the party. So really I don't think he
can continue to lead this party," he  charged.
Waa Juwara, also known as Mbarodi, added that Darboe must take full
responsibility for this irregularity saying, "they have been hiding from
some of us who are senior members of the executive. He has close
associates,  a small clique that has been doing all this havoc on the
party. So he takes  the blame for the lack of transparency and
accountability in the party.

© 2002 The Point Newspaper, P.O Box 66 Banjul, The Gambia    [August 19,
2002]

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)