GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:37:31 -0500
Mr. E. Ceesay:

I salute you for your message.  We must look forward and continue on our
fight for a decent Gambia.  Cheyassin has betrayed his ardent supporters.

In the case of Tombong, I want to let you know that he seems to be the
mouthpiece of everyone puppet.  During our meeting at the Gambian embassy
in Washington, DC., I was shocked at his ignorance.  A person in that
capacity, who is only interested in self-promotion will defy every
principle for his own advantage.

Our Struggle must not be tarnished for simple disagreements.  In fact, we
should learn from such and be able to admit even the simplest error in
judgment.  An admittance of some inconsistencies will provide us assurance
to a better identification of problems at hand.  No individual should
profess to know everything.  We must be willing to work together in this
struggle.

May Allah grant us patience and determination.  May Allah give us the
strength to climb the mountain.  May we witness a democratic Gambia, where
we are judged on the basis of our integrity and character.

Naphiyo,

Comrade Muhammad Lamine Jassey-Conteh

Ebrima".

> At the time, I ignored him (Tombong), but what Tombong, who was in US
during
> the transition period, did not know, was that Cheyassin had had a healthy
> working relationship with us (The Daily Observer) during the coup period.
We
> published his series of articles entitled "Keeping The July 22 Movement On
> Course".
>
> I have to tell you that I personally have had a very good working
> relationship with Pap Cheyassin during the transition period, and it is no
> exaggeration to say that Cheyassin, myself and Halifa were among the most
> vocal Gambians in the Gambia, during the transition period. And I was in
> fact the one who arranged all the interviews he (Cheyassin) gave to the
BBC
> in particular. So you can now see for yourself that I also know Cheyassin
> some extent.
>
> But what you have to note is that we have now passed a stage, in this
> struggle, when we have to choose between who we should criticise or not.
> Whoever has been a party to the destruction of our country will not be
> spared, regardless of whether the person is a relative or a friend. They
are
> as culpable as Yahya Jammeh in terrorising, murdering and incarcerating
> innocent Gambians.
>
> I hope this sets the record straight: the truth will always be known in
the
> final analysis.
>
> Cheers and my best wishes!
>
> Ebrima Ceesay
> Birmingham, UK.
> if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write
your full name and e-mail address.

--- Lamine Conteh
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.