GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:49:24 +0000
Folks, this is not just an injustice to Abdoulaye Sey, but to all Gambians.
How long are we going to stand and watch this brutality on our people go on?
  How Long?  What happen to condemning the act if we are not willing to
protest this gross violation of the rights of journalists?  Now that they
threatened Abdoulaye with death, I think Abdoulaye need to ID all those
involved for Gambians to take stock.  This way, they will know that people
know where they live and so on.  I hope that the staff at the Independent
know that Gambians are with them.  Please let us not waite until something
happen to Abdoulaye again before were register our disgust.  Today it is
Abdoulaye, tomorrow it will be someone else.  And who said that Sey was not
tortured?  I am just amazed at us.  Please read on.

Media Update: Editor Alleges Death Threat

Media Foundation for West Africa (Acra)

PRESS RELEASE
September 25, 2003
Posted to the web September 26, 2003

Aboulaye Sey, the editor-in-chief of the bi-weekly "Independent" newspaper
who was picked up on Friday, September 19, and detained incommunicado until
late Monday, September 22, has alleged that personnel of the National
Intelligence Agency threatened to kill him if he continued to write critical
stories against the Yahyah Jammeh government.

Sey was, indeed, incarcerated at the NIA detention centre in Banjul, in
spite of earlier denials by officials of the NIA about knowing his
whereabouts.

According to Mr Sey, he was tortured and made to sleep on the bare floor in
a small cell infested with mosquitoes. The NIA agents also interrogated him
about an article carried in the September 19 edition of the "Independent"
newspaper, captioned, "Jammeh under the Microscope", which was considered
critical of the President and government.

No official charge has been brought against him.

High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local
service providers in your area). Click here.   https://broadband.msn.com