GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:34:24 -0400
Sister Jabou:

Your position for the opposition is well founded, but I think we have a long way to
ascertain a united opposition.  The formula for inclusiveness must first be addressed.
It is frightening that consultation is limited, and thus, our ability to collectively gather
support within diaspora will be very difficult.  I hope I am wrong in this assertion.

I still advocate that we should collect funds locally.  My position for this effort is being
reflected in my community, and I for one will make sure that my community's efforts are
taken into consideration.  There is a consensus that the community should hear from the
opposition.  Centralization of fund drive intiative will not address needed efforts for the oppostion
to meet the community.  It takes money and time to invite the opposition to local areas, and as
such, my community feels that it cannot contribute centrally because it has not heard from the entire
opposition.  Many have said to me that they do not know the people they should send their contributions
to.  They have indicated that it is risky to send money to people that they do not know.

We will also be at an extreme advantage in collecting funds locally because people want
accountability.  Many have asserted to me that they will not contribute to a decentralize fund
initiative.  We must be fair and consistent in making sure that agenda discussions are brought
forward.

Could you imagine contributing to a fund drive centrally when the executive has already been
formed, and signatories to the account are named.  Who are we playing with? I just do not
understand why the rush.

Another lssue is whether it is legal to open an account in the U. S. earmarked as an opposition
against a foreign government.  I have yet to hear a legal opinion on this.

Naphiyo,
Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh