GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sidi sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 04:14:07 -0800
Momodou Camara & Tony Cisse,
Your postings on GMOs and the current debate in Europe
are extremely important topics and relevant to Africa
and to The Gambia,especially at a period when the
continent is faced with decline in production and in
productivity in the agricultural sector-the most
important sector of our economies. Of course,these
declines are as a result of several factors which we
need not get into here.FAO has cited inadequate public
investment as a major cause of the decline(see
relevant posting).However,one factor that has plagued
Gambian agriculture over the years has been the lack
of appropriate high-yield varieties.Where
available,its introduction invariably poses problems
of adaptability to the local farming methods and less
than adequate extension services. Given these and
other constraints,it is tempting to resort to
genetically modified seeds and understandably so.

However,the introduction of GM seeds may not be the
most appropriate strategy to adopt given the
environmental and health questions purportedly
associated with it.Unless these questions are
adequately answered,backed by hard scientific
evidence,I will not recommend its introduction in
Africa and/or Gambian agriculture at this juncture.The
risks are simply too great from both the environmental
and health point of view.

NARI, which I visited recently, is doing interesting
research, including the introduction of new cash
crops,such as the high-yielding mushroom variety from
Zimbabwe,I believe. The Institute is collaborating
with the Yundum/Banjulunding Women's Horticultural
group and they appear to be progressing
satisfactorily.A group of young,highly competent and
dedicated scientists at NARI led by Dr.Bruce-Oliver
and include the likes of Dr.Jeng (and Ousman Othman as
Chairman of the Board of Directors) could share their
wealth of knowledge of Gambian agriculture and respond
to the questions posed by both Momodou Camara and Tony
Cisse. Meanwhile,I salute the both of you for bringing
this important topic up and I hope that the NARI
scientists will contribute to this and other issues
related to the important work they are carrying out in
The Gambia.
sidi sanneh

--- Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>

=== message truncated ===