GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:00:04 -0500
The following is from the Daily Observer (courtesy of Allafrica.com). You
sometimes wonder whether such reports are the result of immature journalism
or deliberate ploy to what has now become an unsuspecting and sometimes
totally very unsophisticated opposition. Why can't word about return of BB
be seen as a great potential for building coalitions and strengthen the
opposition. Why must his return be seen as a potential for a duo between him
and OJ? Why would  former members of PPP still willing to oppose Yahya waste
so much of their energy going back to the past?

I am no expert in Gambian politics but my advice to OJ and any of these PPP
folks is drop this PPP thing and come up with something new. Gambians may
not like Yahya but are not interested in going back to PPP days. First
Gambian electorate have changed since PPP days. Majority of today's voters
(the 18 to 40 yrs) are not connected to PPP days. They are either too young
to remember PPP days or party to the crowd mesmerized by MOJA and Sana
Manneh. That group, (among them the late Koro Ceesay and Yahya Jammeh never
liked PPP) and would rather sit on the side line than see any return to the
1980s.

Second, there is little PPP has to show for their 30 yrs in power. Yes we
may have had some relative stability and prosperity but all these are
relative. They are hard to measure or feel once they are gone. Thirdly given
the already divided nature of the Party with Jawara safely out of Yahya's
way, it would not make any sense to keep any association with the PPP. So I
say build new coalitions and strategies that would appeal to a broader and a
much younger population than you use to know. Even if it means dropping the
PPP name altogether.

As for the UDP, I think it has lived its natural life as a transitional
opposition. For it to continue as an opposition it must re-invent itself not
as a coalition of "my enemies' enemies" but true "friends in need". To do
that effectively and painlessly, Lawyer must allow someone else to assume
the lead. I am sure he has 1001 things to do for the Party. Unfortunately
being leader is not one of those.

Darboe and the rest of the UDP should see through Yahya's strategy of
keeping the opposition busy on bailing each other out of jail instead of
work on building strategies for the next election. He, Darboe should
establish an independent civil defense group to litigate on behalf of the
citizens and opposition parties. That would allow the politicians focus on
the politics.

The same can be said to PDOIS and NRP. Progress within opposition ranks
cannot only be measured by how much each of us defend out little
territories. Neither PDOIS or NRP alone has the critical mass to effect any
serious change at this stage in our history. Mandinka's say "Fara and Jamba
Katangho". That is "One neighbor's propblem should be every neighbors
problem" especially in times like this.

I must say I am disappointed to read so little about PDOIS and NRP stance on
the recent detention of Darboe and Co or any other political detainee in the
past. Unfortunately that leaves many of us the impression that you have
other priorities, such as joining the recent debate on the resolution on
Taiwan.

I stand to be corrected but I am yet to hear about one resolution sponsored
by the opposition on the plight of political detainees (Dumo and Darboe
included).  Some may say that the opposition does not have the critical mass
to bring any resolution to the (APRC dominated house). I believe that makes
it even more important for the your parties to work for strategic alliances
and synergies that will enhance your capacities to dislodge Yahya from power
come next election.

Malanding Jaiteh

BB Dabo, OJ Who Next for PPP?

  Email This Page

Print This Page

The Daily Observer (Banjul)

December 12, 2002
Posted to the web December 12, 2002

Omar Bah
Banjul

Reliable sources have informed the Daily Observer that some key members of
the People's Progressive Party (PPP) are working on modalities to get former
vice president and minister of Finance, Bakary Bunja Dabo, to challenge Omar
Jallow (OJ) for the post of party leader in their forthcoming congress.

PPP insiders intimated that some members of the party hold the contention
that with BB Dabo's leadership, the party could regain its lost footholds.

Sources added that thenews of Mr Dabo's possible election to lead the PPP is
causing 'stirs and jitters' among supporters of the opposition UDP who felt
that they would lose most of their strongholds in such an eventuality.

But it is not clear whether Mr Dabo, now a barrister who has been living in
self-exile in the UK since 1994 would accept to return to The Gambia without
the security of a Government amnesty moreso take up the leadership of the
now moribund PPP.

Sources hinted that a significant number of PPP king pins are making it a
point of duty to see to it that OJ does not go unopposed during the
congress.

Sources added that after consultations within themselves, the said PPP
bigwigs agreed to field BB Dabo as their candidate to succeed Sir Dawda as
head of the PPP.

But speaking to Daily Observer, a staunch supporter of the PPP who spoke on
condition of anonymity objected to BB Dabo's prospective leadership of the
party. He said the man is out of sync as he has been in exile for the past
eight years and would therefore, never succeed in leading the party. "Most
of his lieutenants are with OJ. So if he tries, he is going to fail. OJ has
never gone into exile. He stayed in the country throughout, struggling for
the survival of the party. We heard about it, but those who are doing it
will be disappointed, for OJ is the only suitable person to lead the party."
When contacted, OJ said it is "healthy democracy for anyone to contest" for
the PPP leadership as long as the person is qualified. But he declined
further comment.

----

Make allAfrica.com your home page

----

Top | Site Français | Site Guide | Who We Are | Advertising

----

Copyright © 2002 The Daily Observer. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). Click here to contact the copyright
holder directly for corrections -- or for permission to republish or make
other authorized use of this material.

----

Questions or Comments? Contact us. Read our Privacy Statement.