GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:44:02 -0400
If we had even the semblance of a legitimate government in the Gambia of
today, by now Yaya would have been charged with and convicted of:

14 counts of murder
100 counts of attempted murder
100 counts of aggravated assault
1000 counts of assault and battery
Conspiracy to commit the above crimes
Incitement to commit the above crimes
Accessory after the fact of the commission of the above crimes.

But as we all know, what we have back home is an illegitimate government,
headed by the most callous Gambians on the face of the earth. What we have,
is a dictatorship that does not respect the rule of law. A Dictatorship
where judges are dismissed willy-nilly when they give rulings that are
unfavorable to the government. What we have is a dictatorship manned by
animals that will not hesitate to massacre children as young as three in
order to perpetuate a tyrant as morally bankrupt as Yaya. What we now have
is a country where an impotent has used the barrel of the gun to intimidate
grown men to the extent that these men will see nothing wrong in the
cold-blooded murder of school children as young as three. Or if those men
saw something wrong in the current state of affairs, they are so scared to
tell Yaya that when he ordered the massacre of our children, he (Yaya)
forfeited his right to live (let alone lead a country). As we can tell, left
to Yaya and his cohorts, this heinous crime will go unpunished. On the other
hand, the impotent has bamboozled some gullible and scared Gambians to turn
around and blame the victims in this case.

But Yaya is NOT going to rule Gambia forever. Like Dictators before him,
Yaya will also be gotten rid of. When we get rid of Yaya, he and his cohorts
will stand trial for this heinous crime against humanity. After that trial,
all these cowards will be hanged.

The record will later show that when Yaya ordered his security forces to
shoot and kill our children, he thereby became culpable for all the crimes
the animals committed against our children. The record will show that Yaya
premeditated this heinous crime. People will testify that before Yaya left
for Cuba, he instructed his security forces to fill the RVH mortuary with
corpses if the children carry out their threat to demonstrate against the
cold-blooded murder of Ebrima Barry and the rape of Binta Manneh (two fellow
students).

Instead of instructing his people to engage the children in dialog, Yaya
gave out shoot to kill instructions while he was in Cuba talking to his
people on the ground in Banjul. Yaya through his own admission, stated that
he was in constant contact with his cabinet and security apparatus. So, here
we are not even talking about the collective responsibility doctrine as far
as Yaya’s culpability is concerned. The man admitted that he was running the
show. Apart from his admission, there is overwhelming circumstantial
evidence that will show that Yaya ordered the massacre of our children. Let
us look at that evidence.

We all know that a leader as callous as Yaya would have by now murdered
anyone that went against his (Yaya’s) wishes and ordered the massacre of our
children. No one has even been dismissed from his or her post because he or
she was blamed for the massacre of our children. Yaya has not pointed to a
single person within his government that has violated Yaya’s orders
pertaining to the massacre. In other words, Yaya takes full responsibility
for the shoot to kill orders. He always has. His twisted logic has always
been: the children asked for it. How dare they demonstrate against a tyrant
as callous as I am? I emasculated their parents and the children have the
nerve to test my potency. I will prove to them that I am not an impotent.
That is how Yaya’s sick mind works.

But Yaya’s tacit acceptance of responsibility is not all. It is an open
secret that the reason the Dumo et al coup was cooked by the characters at
the NIA, has everything to do with April 10 and 11, 2000 massacre.
Pathological liars like Foday Barry concocted this coup plot with Yaya in
order to frustrate the investigation into the April massacre. Yaya was told
that Ebrima Yarbo (an alleged Dumo co-conspirator that worked at Gamtel) had
taped recordings of Yaya’s telephone conversations with his security
apparatus while Yaya was in Cuba giving the shoot to kill orders. So, when
Foday Barry told Gambian newspapers that the government had taped recordings
implicating Yarbo, Dumo et al, Barry was telling a blatant lie. Barry and
Yaya know that the tape recordings (if any) will instead show that Yaya
ordered the massacre of our children while he was in Cuba. Let Foday Barry
and Yaya show us the tape they have of Dumo et al planning to overthrow the
government and kill Yaya. By concocting this story, Foday Barry and Yaya
evinced the mind of a guilty person. They showed the whole world that they
have something to hide. April 10 and 11, 2000 is why Dumo, Yarbo et al are
languishing in jail.

Yaya’s participation in the orchestration of the massacre is quite vivid.
His involvement in the conspiracy to massacre our children cannot be denied.
Our criminal laws then ascribe to Yaya the crimes that were committed on his
(Yaya’s) behalf. So, together with the inchoate offenses of conspiracy and
incitement, Yaya will also be convicted of the murder and mayhem that
ensued.

By now all Gambians know what happened on April 10 and 11, 2000. Silly
stories that this illegal government tried to peddle in the early days, have
all been debunked here on G_L. When they tried to say that rubber bullets
were used on our children, we told them in no uncertain terms where to take
that garbage to. When they childishly claimed that prisoners freed from
Serrekunda Police station (by the children) stole guns from the police and
shot our children, we again told them where to take that garbage.

As inept as the Coroner’s inquest into the massacre of our children was,
that inquiry showed that our children died from gunshot wounds that came
from life ammunition. There is no running away from that. The question then
arises: who pulled the trigger? Well, you have to have a gun in order to
pull a trigger. The only people that were armed with life ammunition and
shot to kill orders, were Yaya’s security forces. Sankung Badjie, Ousman
Badjie, Babucarr Jatta, Baba Jobe, Sarjo Jallow, Isatou Njie-Saidy et al
armed Yaya’s security forces with life ammunition and shot to kill orders
from Yaya and unleash the animals onto our defenseless children. They stood
by at Serrekunda and various parts of the country and watch Yaya's brute
machine get to work by cold-bloodly slaughtering our children.

Up to this day, there is no claim that a single Yaya security personnel
sustained life threatening injuries inflicted by our children. So, at trial,
self-defense will not be a defense. None of these people's lives was in
danger. All Yaya and his cohorts complained about was damage done to Gamtel
installations. Our laws do not allow security forces to trade the lives of
our children for Gamtel and GRTS installations. At trial, self-defense will
not be an issue.

When Yaya stands trial, our brave children will come and testify about their
injuries. The 100 that sustained the worst injuries will help prove the
attempted murder charges. This will be an open and shut case. As far as Yaya
was concerned, he committed his 'last act' (for the purposes of proving
attempt) when he gave out those deadly orders while he was in Cuba. We will
also get another 100 children (with less serious injuries) to prove the
aggravated assault charges. 1000 children will come forward to explain how
they were chased away by Yaya’s security forces and how they were frightened
and sustained minor injuries.

Yaya and all his cohorts that participated in the cover up after the
massacre, will be charged with and convicted of 'accessory the fact'
offenses. The convicts will include people that counsel Yaya to come back
home shedding crocodile tears and promising the victims that justice will be
done. The criminals will include people that were peddling the various lies
about the events surrounding the massacre. Some participants at the
coroner’s inquest and the bogus commission of inquiry looking into the
massacre of our children will also pay for their crimes. People that
persecuted the students and send their president to exile will also pay for
their crimes.

When it is all said and done, our children will take their rightful place in
the history books of The Gambia. Those that died will be given the respect a
country should give to its martyred heroes. Their families will be
compensated for their loss from the ill-gotten gains Yaya looted from the
people of The Gambia. Those that are still suffering from physical injuries
sustained on that fateful day would be provided with adequate medical
treatment. They will also be compensated for their pain and suffering. Every
single victim of that heinous crime would be compensated for his or her
suffering. These heroes deserve from Gambians more than Yaya and his cohorts
have stolen from us. Above all, April 10 will be recognized as a national
holiday to honor our fallen heroes. Needless to say, this day will replace
the infamous July 22 from our national calendar. Instead of celebrating a
day when a bunch of cowards, intoxicated with drugs, used intimidation to
steal power from a democratically elected government and forced themselves
on the Gambian people --- instead of celebrating this despicable day and the
criminal, unpatriotic and cowardly behavior of Yaya and his cohorts, we
would recognize April 10 as the day our heroes died for us. The day children
as young as three said enough is enough and they were no longer going to
take the abuse from the tyrant. We will celebrate that day as the day our
children showed us, adults, what should have been glaringly obvious to us;
i.e. tyranny and lawlessness must not be tolerated. The children died
fighting for ONE dead child. We adults have no excuses not to fight for our
FOURTEEN children that were slaughtered in cold-broad, and in broad daylight
before all our eyes.

Finally, I pray for the families of the departed souls recognizing that we
should not worry about the fate of our children. These children died for the
noblest of causes; i.e. they died fighting tyranny and injustice so that all
of us can be free. I have no doubt in my mind that these children already
have their places in Heaven. I pray for their families to be strong and some
day unite with their children in Eternal Life. The families will get their
justice when we get rid of Yaya. Our prayers are also with the other
victims. I hope their injuries heal. I hope all decent Gambians do their
little part to help the victims recover from their injuries. These victims
will also get the justice they deserve. Those that are in exile and continue
to be persecuted by our Satanic government would also come home one day.
Stay strong. The Truth will always prevail.
KB