GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:47:00 EDT
Mr. Colly, thanks again for your complementary piece on the disappearance of
Makalo. Your focus on these vermin (as opposed to the role of the
journalists) was quite apt. I hope the IGP and people like Barry and Jatta
read your message clearly and know the day of judgment is near. And when
that day comes, they will all account for their actions. In response to your
message, Elhajj raised another chilling issue. The devils might be at work
exhuming the body; rather than cuffing the hands to take the corpse to Yaya,
they would attempt to change the burial location. We urge people to be
vigilant and ensure that this gruesome crime is not covered up. The
authorities should know that they can run but they can't hide. There are a
lot of Kanteh's in their midst. The same way Kanteh knew about this burial
site can repeat itself. They should give the body back to Makalo's family
for a decent burial. All these corpses in mass graves will come back to
haunt them. Have no doubt about that.
Colly, am also glad that you mentioned Yabo and your 'Prescription for
Resistance'. It is important that Gambians understand that you are not
advising anyone to retreat and surrender. You are a battle-tested soldier
that has looked at death right in the eye. What I read from your message is
a pragmatic way of ensuring that we minimize the martyrs in this struggle.
We had enough on April 10 and 11. If this was a duel between Yaya and Yabo,
am sure you would be the first person to ask Yabo to blow Yaya's brains out.
This is also not a fight where the first person to put sand in the
opponent's mouth is crown the victor and the fight declared complete. But if
the coward sends more than ten heavily armed men to abduct one person, that
person has very few options. As you stated earlier, the tactic worked in
favor of Waa Juwara. He is of more use to the opposition alive than dead. I
join you and urge all potential abductees to organize themselves in
conjunction with family, friends and neighbors. They should make sure that
each time someone is abducted, the abductors are identified and the location
of the kidnapped person is known. It makes it easier to work for the release
of these political prisoners. If one feels that one can take on any abductor
and come out of it alive, hey be my guest. Blow Pika's head any day and I
will go out and celebrate. But people like Darboe, Waa Juwara and others
should realize that their lives are worth more than the lives of these
vermin. So do not trade it even for Yaya's life let alone morons like Pika
and Foday Barry.
Finally, I also hope that your soldier brothers get the message by now.
There is clearly a trend (visible to the naked eye) in Yaya's rampant
killings of soldiers. They should face reality and abandon ship and join the
side of the overwhelming majority. We are their brothers, sisters, cousins,
etc. It is great that you told them to remember people like Ousman Sillah.
If that man wanted, he could have been another Sankung Badjie. He was in the
police force before some of these soldiers were born. Seen everything, done
it all as Jawara's ADC. He left that behind and went to the private sector
where he continues to defend the liberties of all oppressed Gambians (both
under the Jawara and Yaya regimes). Emulate the example of this man and
think about people like him when you carry out your duties.
KB