GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pasamba Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:20:52 GMT
COMPATRIOTS,
It is very troubling to read how far people would go in advocating violence
as means of ending JAMMEH'S dictatorial government.Reading "MR
JATTA'S"introduction reminds me of the very rhetoric used by JAMMEH after
the July 22nd coup.It was this kind of tough talk that falsely gave Gambians
the impression that JAMMEH was a genuine revolutionary, who would save the
country from economic ruins and mismanagement.              It seems as
Gambians are forgetting too soon. Do we remember the havoc that the 1981
coup and the lingering effect it had and contiues to have on the Gambia?Did
any body reliase that JAMMEH is a by product of the 1981 coup,for the very
army that overthrew JAWARA was established by the P.P.P government to
prevent another coup.                            To those advocating
violence to get rid of JAMMEH ,what role are they going to play to
facilitate such a change?what guarantees are they to give the Gambians that
we shall not have Liberia or Sierra Leone type situation?what will happen if
JAMMEH is replaced by another dictator, do we take arms to overthrow him
too?What is important is to support the political parties in order to
facilitate a democratic change.The April 10/11 incidents are clear
manifestation that the days of intimidation are about over ,as students
excercised there rights regardless of brute force used by the armed forces.
        "MR JATTA " please drop ALLAH'S ARMY it shows a lot of religious
chavaunism which is intolerable in THE GAMBIA.                 PEACE
                                                            PASAMBA S. JOW
COACH