GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 06:11:40 PDT
TOMBONG SAIDy,

If you are not able to see the contradiction then it is Ok for you,but some of
us are just wondering ,if the president did say he was in constant contact
with his government on the ground during the whole event and now you are
telling us that the president want to know what was happening then there are
two things here !
1)It was not true that the president knew what was happening on the ground,he
was not in constant contact with his government on the issue
2)Or after his returned from Cuba,he now believed that he was not informed of
the whole truth and that he should find it out himself,why is he then
maintaining the same government,the same people who informed him wrongly  or
believed to have informed him wrongly?talking to the students to find out what
happened is that not duplicating the efforts of those responsible for the
hearing or he simply does not trust them ?
There is a vital question that the president needs to answer,who gave the
command for the shooting ? should this person sit and command still whiles he
await for His/her removal ?Until then the struggle continues !!

For freedom
Saiks

I do not see the contradictions you are talking about. There was nothing in
the President's speech indicating that all detainees or detained students
should be released. Despite what some of you think or are made to believe,
students were being released either on bail or to the custody of their
parents as far back as 13 April.

Besides, there is a process through which all detainees must go through,
whether they are detained legally or illegally. My last posting on this
matter stated clearly that all students were released except 6 and this was
before the President visited the wounded at the RVH. Their cases were being
processed and presently there is no single student in detention because of
the events of 10 & 11 April 2000.

The President showed his compassion and expressed his sorrow and sympathy to
the bereaved and wounded and this was clearly stated in his address to the
nation and during his different meetings with opinion leaders, religious
leaders and principles of the various schools. He will also be meeting with
the students to hear from them directly, their side of the matter. The
President was not in the country when this tragic event took place and it is
only fair for him to listen to every possible side in order to get the true
picture of what really happened. Believe me, the President wants to know the
full story, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I do not see any
thing wrong for the President to visit the wounded at RVH. He went there
alone (not Secretary of State or security chief) to talk to the students in
private and to wish them well. He went to visit them because he cares.

The coroner's inquest has started and as far as I can recall, this is the
first time such an inquest has been set up to find the truth. It is open to
the public and no body will be prosecuted or intimidated because of evidence
they gave in this inquest. The coroner is expected to submit his report by
May 15th 2000.

As the Attorney General stated on many occasions, it is the judiciary system
which is on trial here and things should not only be done in a transparent
manner, but Gambians should see it being done in a transparent manner. The
commission of enquiry is already set and will be announced next week.
Membership to such a commission should be made of people with good
reputation, independent mind and people who are not pro or anti Jammeh, but
people who would look for nothing but the truth. I know the members and I
would have liked to reveal the names here but since it has not yet been
announced by the Attorney General, I would wait for him to announce it to
the public. You will definitely agree with the team that would make this
commission.

The President has said in his speech that he will not leave any stone
un-turned in the search for the truth, and those who are responsible for
this tragic day, will be dealt with accordingly. I do not think we should
rush into taking decisions and making judgement before all the facts are
laid in front of us. The justice we are all looking for will be done. We
need peace and justice and that we will have in The Gambia.

PEACE

Tombong