GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 00:25:24 GMT
Hamadi,

I'm with you all the way. To see this govt talk about anybody being
non-Gambian is a joke. Nowhere in the Gambia is the concept of dual
citizenship taken as literally as in Foni. Yaya Jammeh himself personifies
that. How many Gambian relatives does this man have. All one needs to do is
look at this man's blood connections vis-a-vis Yorro and BabaGalleh's. Then
there is Edward, whose casee needs no mention. But what most Gambians don't
know is the background of Yankuba Touray. He is Senegalese. Yankuba hails
from a tiny Fana Fana village on the Badibu/Senegalese border near Minteh
Kunda. The area is one of the many places we have in the Gambia where nobody
gives a hoot about colonial borders. And rightly so, as far as I'm concern.

As I understand it, Yankuba's dad was friends with Mustafa Minteh's
(footballer) father. Given that there are no schools on the Senegalese side
in that area, and the fact of their friendship, Minteh's father was given
ward of Yankuba. Thus the reason for Yankuba living with the Mintehs at
Tobacco Road. And of course anyone who remembers Minteh's football days
beginning with his time at Nusrat, may also remember the fellow always
carrying his football boots: Yankuba Touray. To the dismay and disgust of
that family, he Yankuba would later betray their trust. I don't want to go
into those details, but to hear these people talk about "foreigners" is
truly insulting. I hope the "real" Gambian reporters will follow up this
lead, and go talk to people in Minteh Kunda to verify this story. Maybe that
would shut them up on this shameless crusade against the Jallow duo.

Saul.