GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:59:34 EST
This is from the Guardian. I hope you find it useful.

Hamjatta Kanteh

 Foreign Office plans Zimbabwe evacuation

Zimbabwe: special report

Andrew Meldrum in Harare
Monday March 27, 2000

The Foreign Office has drawn up contingency plans to evacuate an estimated
20,000 British passport holders from Zimbabwe after the president, Robert
Mugabe, refused to take action against thousands of black squatters who are
occupying white-owned farms.
President Mugabe said he would ignore a ruling by the Zimbabwe high court
that the occupation of around 750 farms was illegal and that police should
remove the squatters, most of whom support his government.

His decision brought strongly worded statements of concern from the
international community, with criticism from Britain, the United States,
South Africa and the European Union.

Mr Mugabe's increasing isolation will make it more difficult for him to get
the financial assistance his country desperately needs.

In an interview with CNN this weekend, Mr Mugabe unequivocally stated that he
would not obey the court order.

"It would bring chaos if we attempted to implement the decision of the
court," he said. "I view it as merely a peaceful demonstration by the war
veterans. As long as it remains peaceful then we will not have to send the
police in."

The Foreign Office minister Peter Hain said yesterday that the farm invasions
were increasing the sense of insecurity in Zimbabwe to such an extent that
plans were being put in place for an evacuation of British passport holders,
as well as thousands more who would be eligible for British passports.

"We hope it won't come to that," said Mr Hain. "It is important for the
Zimbabwe government to understand that white farmers and other whites want to
be part of their country and want to stay in the country they love.

"They should not be pushed out. The [evacuation] plan is prudent preparation
for a situation that might or might not arise."

Mr Hain said the farm invasions had "harmed the production and output of the
farms and that has harmed the country's exports and its economy. That is not
a good thing.

"The future of Zimbabwe will not be enhanced by this kind of action, which
appears to be encouraged from the very top of government."

Mr Hain claimed that Mr Mugabe's government had driven Zimbabwe's once strong
economy to the depths of despair.

Britain's relations with Mr Mugabe's government are like "a dialogue of the
deaf", said Mr Hain, adding that the difficult relations with Zimbabwe are
"in common with other donor countries in Europe, the United States as well as
neighbouring African countries who find it impossible to engage in
constructive dialogue".

South Africa's defence minister, Mosiuoa Lekota, said the deteriorating
situation in Zimbabwe "worries me day and night. It's a very dangerous
situation. One of the critical elements of the new Africa must be the law."

South Africa's finance minister, Trevor Manuel, said he is concerned about
the deepening economic crisis in Zimbabwe, because it is South Africa's
largest trading partner in Africa.

The US also expressed its concern. The under secretary of state for southern
African affairs, Whitney Schneidman, said in Zimbabwe last week that the
Clinton administration was "concerned about the prospect of violence".

"The rule of law should be observed. When there is a violation of law, it
sends a signal beyond the borders of this country.

"We want Zimbabwe to become one of the leaders in Africa, but this is only
going to happen when all people uphold the rule of law," he said.

hkanteh