GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:30:19 EDT
Beran, both you and Abdoulie are not missing anything. Beran, to attempt to
answer your first question; I think the reason Hawa Ceesay was not listed is
because she is not a commissioner. I think her reported performance the
other day was done in her capacity as a representative of one of the
families of the slain children. As for your second issue and Abdoulie's, you
are dead on track. They conveniently side-stepped the issue of accounting
for the dead children and the cause of death. Rather, they focussed on
"assessing and quantifying the material loss occasioned by the breakdown of
public order on 10th and 11th April 2000". I think when they are confronted
with this hypocrisy and insensitivity, they would say that that was the job
of the coroner. But if that was the job of the coroner, then why not move on
with the murder trial as soon as a coroner's report was completed. They
cannot have their cake and eat it. They cannot use these proceedings that
have very little to do with the murder of our kids in order to delay and
thwart the dispensation of justice for the families. The second provision
you quoted is just an opportunity for the commission to come back and blame
parents and teachers for letting their children to go out and demonstrate.
Would that provision enable the commission to come up with a serious
indictment against the judiciary and law enforcement for dragging their feet
in the Ebrima Barry matter? I don't think so. Would that provision enable
the commission to point at Yaya for recklessly ordering the shooting of
innocent children when they should have engaged the students in dialogue? I
don't think so. Would the commission indict Ousman Badgie for dismally
failing to control the crowds? I don't think so. Would the commission indict
all those stupid and callous commanders for arming their men with life
ammunitions and orders of shoot to kill from Yaya? I don't think so. As you
can see, Provision 2(a) is very wide. But whether it would be used
adequately is questionable. The bottom line is, the focus of the commission
is not the more than 100 massacred, tortured, jailed, maimed children. These
people are more concerned about who threw stones at Gamtel installations.
Well they can investigate all they want about the material loses. But we
should not allow them to hinder our investigation into the real crimes (the
murder of our innocent children). Yaya alone stole from the Gambian people
more than it would cost to renovate all the material damage done on April 10
and 11. But no one can bring these children back to their parents and to
Gambia as a whole. The bravery and commitment manifested by these kids was a
sign of great leaders. We unfortunately lost them to a bunch of cowards,
liars, robbers, rapists and impotency. Join me, Colly and others and
continue to be vigilant and point out the injustice this government wants to
once again visit on the Gambian people.
KB