GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 06:59:10 EDT
Ngaga, I am glad that you brought these relevant points. I must commend the
Atlanta July 4th Organizing Committee for organizing a program of this
magnitude to the satisfaction of many participants. Its really hard to run
all these events together within few days without any predicaments. So I hope
they will learn from their mistakes.

Before I answer your question concerning low turnout at IJarman show, I think
it is pertinent to discuss the mission of many participants at "Hotlanta"
July 4th .Most people fall under one or more of the following major
categories: 1 Meeting old friends 2 meeting former class mates 3.Making love
(looking for would-be wife or husband) 4 partying 5 explore business
opportunities and 6 Recreation. Evidently people can have fun and fulfill
their mission without paying for expensive parties or IJarman if a central
location is provided for them by the organizing committee. Hence the
perpetual hang out at entrances during paid occasions.

To avert this negative attitude, all programes, food and beverages must be
paid by everybody. No prepaid contributions by Atlanta residents. Tickets
prize can range from $3.00 - $5.00 . With 4 major events such as Friday
welcoming party, Saturday night jam, soccer final and Sunday night reunion
concert and awards, an estimated proceed of $24,000 - $40,000 can be achieved.

The organizing committee should embark on a massive sensitization campaign of
what to do with the proceeds so that many people will not hesitate to pay any
amount to support a worthy venture. If I know the profit accrued will be used
to buy equipment for Farafene Hospital or provide computers for Gambia
University Extension Program or even support Gambians here, a $15.00 gate fee
for IJarman is absolutely nothing. Therefore, next year lets see banners
showing your mission/s everywhere, provide income and expenditure statements
of last July 4th Reunion on your website and to all participating soccer
teams even they are not affiliated to your organization, provide incentives
to those who spend their time and energy to make this a success (i don't care
if their time is compensated), attract more local sponsors, edify and clearly
demonstrates a strong sense of transceparency, accountability and confidence
in all your activities.  I am sure you will make it -you are physically and
mentally.

July 4th Reunion could be a valuable asset for all gambians in America. The
event attract over 2000 Gambians in America and elsewhere. Therefore we
should make good use of it. LETS EVERYBODY THINK HOW WE CAN ACHIEVE THAT.
LETS BRAIN STORM NOW! A friend of mine went to Eritrean Reunion in California
where over 15000 Eritrean met and raise over one million US Dollars to help
Eritrean children affected by war and famine. We should emulate them. We got
the potentials. The Mandinka saying goes 'Tolung'o ka sobe-ya sataley'
(leisure and work together) and Wollof - Tukey su-tah new heeb la , for judoo
ba-hulofa, translated as-- If Diaspora makes you dishonored then you were not
grateful in your own land. Wollofs please correct me if the translation is
wrong.

Lamin PF Manneh