GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:48:27 -0400
 -----Original Message-----

From: Baba Galleh Jallow <[log in to unmask]>

"And because African despots know that empowering the people means disempowering themselves, they are allergic to any talk of civic empowerment in their regimes. They also make it a point to strangle any individual or institution that look like they are injecting power into the mind of the body politic. Hence their blind hostility to the media, human rights groups, or rival political dispensations and all manner of critics. The whole problem is of course much more complicated than this."

Well said Baba. That is why doing their utmost to ensure that the people stay ignorant is always the top agenda of tyrannical regimes and nowhere is that more evident than on the African continent.
Jabou