GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
1Cool Dude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 01:16:04 GMT
The 2000 reunion was clearly without precedence in the history of  July
Fourth celebrations.  In addition,  the overall support of the
community for the Reunion Organization was clearly echoed as Adams
Stadium and southeast recreation center were packed with people to
the extend that the  Saturday Party was inevitably ended at 5.00 A.M.
and subsequently forcing the Organization to cancel the Sunday
Cultural Night Party.

With anticipation for the performances of Alioune Mbaye Nder,Ousou
Njie, The Small Axe Band, Rapper /LD,  even the Fugitivz and DJ Moze
deserted the other camp and went to GRO with outstanding performances
on Saturday and Sunday. The Fugitivz further performed on Monday at
the Alioune Mbaye Nder Dance and made  their disapproval of two
organizations in the Atlanta community very clear.

A LESSON LEARNED.

The Atlanta Community has made it very clear that it is more
interested in a unified community than  one which is divided.It is
now time for both groups in Atlanta to begin making plans for talks.

In my opinion, both groups have supporters, but what was evident is
that the majority of people preferred the Status Quo, and therefore
decided to go with them.  What is obvious is that the Atlanta
community will do all it can to maintain the stability it has enjoyed
for the past years, because July Fourth Weekend is  one of  the few
chances Gambians have to Reunite with each other.

So, to those who believe that having 2 separate groups will bring about
harmony, you must think twice about what happened and understand
that there is no tolerance for Chaos in the Gambian community,  therefore
all efforts should be positively geared towards unity.

Personally, this was my best July 4TH experience and when one envision
the possibility of a unified organisation, things would have been even
greater and I am supremely confident that both organisations have
learned something from it. Fact is "united we stand, divided we fall".
We thank everyone that came to Atlanta and help made it possible.

Off the record, I wasn't too big on 'Ndagga', but this Alioune Mbaye
Nder was indeed a tremendous artist. "Mais waggi dal thopp", the
guy does know how to jump and sing . I also learned a new word in the
event,: "Bin-bin". And am not telling you what it is either!(o-:)LOL!
Oussou Njie was outstanding! Remember 'Fateluku', 'halai lu gambia', I
mean these songs make you wanna pack your belongings and go home for
real! There was more, but I intend to end it here, for now.

Revisit http://www.gambianreunion.org for more details. We will be
bringing you pictures, video clips and more taken during the Festival.

                                                  Thank You All.
                                                  Mr Makaveli.