GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:45:52 -0400
Mr. Sidibeh,

I have not been reading my emails regularly but I do recollect Sister
Jabou posting a comprehensive concern urging for some coordinated
effort.  Naturally, the rumors of instability in the Gambia that are
peddled around the net is quite disturbing, and compounding the problem
with empty threats, rhetoric of vengeance and political posturing shall
only regenerate impasses to a peaceful resolution. I believe that a
coordinated effort will be a good start provided that a condition is
acknowledged in the process i.e. a bi-partisan (the opposition and
APRC) that will engage President Jammeh in a conciliatory dialogue.
Democracy can never work its magic in a country where the incumbency
has to fight for its survival or perish.  The opposition parties in the
Gambia have succeeded in making the cost of electoral defeat too high
for Jammeh to afford, and democracy can never flourish in such a
political culture.  It is true, and I am privy to this concrete fact
that the Senegalese government was aiding and abetting instability in
order to use that as a pretext to invade the Gambia, and install a
puppet government.   Jammeh is very well aware of this and perhaps it
is the reason for the recent shakeup nation-wide.
Freedom is the very essence of any human being including Jammeh
himself.  Only a very sincere and compassionate communication in truth
can appeal to that essence thus creating a resolution to the current
problems in the country.   The history of the civil rights movement and
Martin L. King Jr. in the US can be an illustrious example to emulate.

Ebou