GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:00:53 EDT
Courtesy afribone.com

Aime Césaire: The  universal combatant

There is a  little more than four years (27- June 29, 2003), Africa and
Americas paid homage  to Aimé Césaire for his four twenty ten years. To unanimously
recognize the  accuracy of its combat, the conviction with which it carried
out it until the  end and because also, beyond the Antilles and from the “negro”
, it extended it to all those which one tried of “chosifier”. This combat it
summarized it in these terms: “I am an Inhabitant of Martinique, a
transplanted African. But I am  before a whole man. And a man who wants what? The
achievement of humanity in the  man”.
Its disappearance cannot leave indifferent, because if it defended  like “a
wounded lion” the black people oppressed through the  centuries, it encouraged
hatred forever that some wanted between oppressed and  their oppressors.
He was the first to have exceeded besides this stage by requiring  that one
not make him this man of hatred for which he has only hatred. He  professed
only one thing: the equality enters the men.
Death will not remove almost anything with glory cantor négritude.  So as he
liked to say it, of his remote island, he knew little Africa, the  Africans
them know, thanks to his œ uvre, all or almost the Antilles and the  black
diaspora.
One of the reasons which explains why it is known and admires it  more than
Senghor the African. Aimé Césaire held his speech inside a situation:  the
condition of dominated. From where universality of its combat. He addressed
himself as much to the African as with the West-Indian. He had the tragic  feeling
of the history.
Its œ uvre and its person are well perceived in the African  students who
like besides to oppose it to Léopold Sédar Senghor. Senghor did not  know the
deportation, it was born on the African ground, lived its youth there  and known
through tales and legends the African values which it in return always
magnifiées in its poetry.
Aimé Césaire was him a man violently torn off with his ground,  which
underwent all the brimades and with which one wanted all to remove, even  his
identity. What did one of them revolted and it is this attitude which brings  it much
closer to African youth.
“The book of a return to the native land” is of  any immense sound œ uvre
the book more read. This one is even a kind of breviary  for the pupils and
student African. Certain passages of this very long poem the  such “virile prayer
of the poet” are studied on our premises  with the college and even with the
2nd fundamental cycle.
Did the négritude have an impact on the black  consciences?
For the professor of letters Cheickné Danthioko, chief of DER  letters of the
Flash, it is undeniable: the négritude of Césaire is not exceeded  and it
will be it never. Isn't it the recognition of oneself, its culture and  its
values?
It is and will remain of topicality because it is a form of fight  against
the assimilation. Cheickné Danthioko ensures that it is even more than  ever
necessary today to guide African youth ballottée between a multitude of
cultures.
The storyteller, the chronicler and the genealogist who conveyed  our
cultural values are competed with today by television, the radio and the  Net. Also,
it is high time to give again with the négritude all its value by the
reintroduction of the tale, the legend of epopee etc… in the programs of our  small
classes.
As many kinds which cultivate in us the taste of our origins and  that as of
our youth. It is necessary can be to be registered from now on beyond  the
historical prospect and to read again the œ uvre of Aime Césaire in terms of
fidelity towards oneself.
Did there remain such? Its message which did not vary a topic and  its fight
remained burning of made a single man of culture in his kind. Each  oppressed
people will have of Césaire either the simple memory of a poet, but  that of a
symbol of its own rebirth, recognized professor Cheickné  Danthioko.
Aimé Césaire dominated the 20th century by his own longevity, the  variety
and the consistency of his immense œ uvre, but more especially by the  constancy
of its combat, signs of a fidelity without fault with its ideal.
C. DIAWARA
The Rise of April 21, 2008.

listings at AOL Autos.